End of Diving Dream?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceIce:
Put aside the over-confidence, she shared this story, an OW student unable to clear his mask from time to time or with great difficulties and kept bolting up to the surface. Anyway, although she was not the one who made the decision, she told the guy that he was not cut to be a diver. Period.
That's too bad.

The shop I work with tells students "They can quit, but they can't fail." Certification takes as long as it takes for the student to be comfortable and master the skills.

I think the record so far is around 2 years of pool sessions.

Some students actually do decide to not get certified, but it's always their decision.

Terry

When the Dive Master position was created, it was to be a "helping hand". It seemed like a good idea at the time. Before that, experienced divers were often "expected" to help those who were not able to set up their gear, and keep an eye on some others. Not everyone was willing or able to lend this assistance. The only paid participant on the boat was the captain, and that person was often not a diver.

Some people want to assume authority, or consider themselves experts. The scuba instructor is supposed to be an expert, and only the captain of the boat has genuine authority. A dive master is neither of these. Some of these DM's have the correct perspective. Many are genuine good folks that we really like. Others tend to forget that they work for tips.

Stu S.:
... only the captain of the boat has genuine authority. A dive master is neither of these.
In many cases a DM or Instructor is on the mainfest as a Mate or Crew Member and is operating as the Captain's designee.

IceIce:
Because in my personal opinion, one can have great difficulties practising skill in OW but it doesn't mean that their diving hobby is a dream. If they are persistent and put enough effort to overcome their difficulties, they can master those skills, they can overcome their fear, and somehow they can become a good divers too. (I heard Einstein failed in Math before). I just don't entertained by the idea that she might crush someone dream instead of helping him to solve the problems.
But in fact, I don't really know, at my level of experience, I never teach and I don't know any similar case. I still hope my belief is correct?

I think you need to consider why someone wants to learn how to dive. There is a big difference between someone who loves the wild-life and sees diving as a means to end; the water baby who sees it as a natural progression from snorkeling and the phobic who wants to dive to confront their fears... (just to name a few examples)

Layer "aptitude", "phyical ability" and "personality type" on top of this and the judgement-call doesn't always seem black and white.

I certainly don't believe that (all forms) of diving is for everyone. In fact, for various reasons, I wouldn't even advise trying to learn to dive for some people. Would I be wrong to discourage them? Maybe. They could be the next Cousteau. On the other hand, I trust my judgement and I'll stick to that.

R..

If I were an instructor, I would never tell a student they couldn't ever be a diver. However, I would have no problem telling a student I couldn't certify them and that they would need additional training to do so. Last weekend an instructor friend of mine had to do just that to a family of three who had planned to go to Hawaii over Christmas and dive. Fortunately they accepted her judgment.

I think the gal overstepped herself...first she wasn't the guy's instructor...you mentioned she was only a DM...she had no place saying what she did. Second, its just plain rude and unsupportive of her to say such a thing. If I were the guy's instructor I would call her on the carpet and suggest she appologize to the student if she ever expected to be in the water with me and a student again.

Jim

Not her place......

As a DM she should have let the intructor inform the student of his/her intentions. The fact thet your friend (DM) didn't tell the intructor to personally tell the student about the decision only serves to underscore your friend's lack of experience.

Regards,

Hi

For some people it just takes a little more work than others if they want to succeed at something. What was said to the student does not seem like the right thing. I guess in the end all that one has to ask the student is if they want to dive. If they answer 'yes' then they were made to dive. My point is that anybody that wants to learn how to dive because that is what they have set their heart on should keep on trying. If someone is healthy enough to dive and diving is what they want to do then they should try and surround themselves with people that are going to help them get there.

I personally like diving with new divers, because I suppose it reminds me of when I first started or maybe its just because I have developed a strong passion for the sport. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing the face of a reasonbly new diver when you compliment them on an aspect of thier diving.

Safe diving

Cudabait:
Not her place......

definetely not

Cudabait:
Not her place......

As a DM she should have let the intructor inform the student of his/her intentions. The fact thet your friend (DM) didn't tell the intructor to personally tell the student about the decision only serves to underscore your friend's lack of experience.

Regards,

I don't think we know the context. In some situations there *is* no instructor.

Intros, for example, can be done by the DM without any instructor present. During an OW course, the DM has a supporting roll to play but the DM is not always functioning in this roll....

It's actually very disconcerting to see an "experienced" instructor who appears to be unaware that DM's can and should be acting independently in some contexts. To assume, incorrectly, that an instructor is always present may not be "underscoring" the "inexperience" of the DM at all...

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom