Ending Dive with 500psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Golfer38, In class the 500 psi was always stated but on dive boats around here you are on your own. They will help with gear if asked but I have never heard of anyone checking a SPG. As for the two boys, I have three 7,11 and 15, I know all to much about horse play. I think it's great they are diving with you. My 15yo has no interest but my 11 yo will start diving this summer.

Golpher
This may sound like a scolding but it is not by any means. So many boats are custom to having vacation divers on thier boats. As such those that bring thier own gear is most likely lacks in maintenance and the ike. Because of that the odds of a worst case scenerio becomes more likely to happen. So lets look at it from teh boat side of things. Your spg is 10% off you need 150 psi to get a good breath on your reg. Youve never had an incident in the water so panic is highly possible.

Your min gas needed at that point is 450psi to get a good breath with a spg reading 300 high. If you have to wait in line to get out and there is some seastate it complicates things even more. Suddenly 700 to 1000 psi is becoming less unreasnable, huh. As mentioned in post 17 i think that psi was set for a standard 80 cuft tank which is really 77. Psi is never important other than making a regulator work, it is the volumn of gas that you have to breath that is the biggy. For the s80 it is about 13 cu ft.

I think your solution, if available, is to get a larger tank for your self or perhaps a smaller tank for the kids. Personally i ike the larger tank for yourself. The kids need someting to donate to you if needed. When i started again after years of being dry i got lp 95's for the vary reasons you stated. I never wanted to be the party pooper.

Regards

Andy, we are warm weather divers.. shorts and rash guards.. I just want the boys to get a few hundred dives before they are on their own so they will have some experience under their belt..

BTW, they are up at Attitash the past week doing their winter thing...

The 12yo (just turned 12) now needs equipment, so Ebay R Us for a month or so...

Jim

A quick funny story.. We live in Maryland, so my 15 yo (12 at the time), took our class in the very cold November and got cert'd in a quarry the same month. So of course, we needed all the gear (wetsuit, etc...). Being 6'3" and 250#'s, I needed 35+ pounds of weight to keep me down. Of course, in the water, I looked like Woody Woodpecker at a Macy's parade. We get cert'd and we both don't like it due to the wetsuit, etc... We were heading to the Caymans in 2-3 weeks and start thinking maybe diving is not for us. But we decide to try it in the Caribbean and see what happens... So, we are on the boat with 80+ degree weather, 80 degree water wearing shorts and a rash guard. Life is great.. So the DM comes around to each of us (8 total) and ask us "how much weight".. being a newer newb than I am now, I say 36 pounds.. Well the entire boat started laughing.. I start looking around to see what they were laughing at.. I looked at my back to see if my son put a "do not disturb" sign on me.. When the DM says, "How long you planning on staying down the for".. "forever"? It was pretty funny since she handed me 12 pounds, which worked, (down to 8 now)... and says "I am sure your wife wants you back so you can pay for dinner tonight".

Thanks,

Jim

I certified a guy in Cozumel that really did need 36 pounds....wearing just a bathing suit and no shirt....I took 2 DM's with me on his open water dives as I knew there was no way I was going to get this guy off the bottom if something went wrong...thankfully he was actually a good diver....just a bit round... we also spent extra time on weight belt removal....cause this guy is gonna need it if things go pear shaped one day

two things to consider... 1. why weren't you using a snorkle if you were on the surface and 2. what happens if he has an accident, while you have 200psi left? If the absolute worst happens you and the dive operation will be investigated.

I actually agree with the DM on this. as you are a new diver, I'd be concerned if I was running the boat. What I don't agree with is publically harrassing/belittling clients, take them aside, find out the rational reason why they did what they did, reinforce the Dive operation's rules and perhaps buddy you up with a DM for a few dives to observe what's going on.

might be a good opportunity to work on breathing techniques.

I personally like the reasoning that I am not allowed to touch that last 500PSI because it is not mine. It belongs to my buddy. And my buddy's last 500PSI belongs to me.

We could what-if this to death, but the problem seems to be solved anyway. You now have a bigger tank, so you can stay down longer (unless your NDL dictates otherwise).

I would allow you to stay in or get out. If the DM's can't keep track of a kid at 15 feet burning off his air in clear Caribbean water, they aren't worth a lick of salt. My rule is, if the diver is attached to the boat (by hang line, deco bar, etc.) and in sight of the deck staff, it's as good as being on the boat.

HOWEVER

Every boat has different rules. Next time the DM treats you with less than respect, pull them aside with the Captain and explain that you thought you were doing right, you apologize, and tell him or her that you don't expect to be treated like a juvenile. Additionally, I have a DM with terrible communication skills. You wouldn't want anyone else on your side when the SHTF, but she is clueless when it comes to gently admonishing a passenger. Her gentle button is broken. She often comes off as brusque, but she really isn't mad, she just doesn't know how to be gentle. Maybe your DM wasn't really mad, maybe he just had lousy communication skills....

Frank, she's nicer than you say.

and indeed good when the SHTF.

Golfer38;

As a DM i really don't like to see buddies separate for any reason, too many stories with bad endings. And this goes especially for recreational vacation divers.

My recommendation to you is to start diving a larger tank, a steel 80, 95, 100, etc. find the tank configuration that allows you to dive with your son and remain in a buddy configuration through the dive. If you end the dive with extra gas, so be it.

Dive safe.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am a fairly new diver with a little more than 50 dives (AOW cert). I took up diving so with my two sons (12 - newly cert and 15 AOW, 50 dives).

My older son and I started together and (maybe) cause I am older, I go through my air faster.

So my question is this.. We most always reach the surface/boat with a minimum of 500psi. Since my son has more than 1000 psi left, he likes to stay about 10'-15' down and do flips, etc with his go pro, or just maybe swim around. While I still have at least 500psi left, I stay on the surface (and yes away from the boat steps) and watch him. I monitor my tank and with about 200-330psi left, I get his attention and we both leave the water.

While diving in the Caribbean, one boat DM chewed me out pretty bad. Being the DM, I took his verbal lashing but I really wanted to tell him off. Mainly because he could have been a bit more professional about it. He stated that many things could have gone wrong, and I won't list them all but I am sure you all can determine what he said (banging my head on the boat, other divers would not be able to get out, etc). I just told him that I understand what he is saying, I do have my wits and make sure that when I signal my son, etc. there are no other divers, etc.. around as to impede their progress. Also, I do use my snorkel at times on the surface...

So my question is this. Is it ok for me to stay on the surface with a tank at 200-500psi?

Thanks,

Jim
Their boat, their rules. Suck it up!

BUT: I have often found that a quick chat ahead of the dive is useful. You may find it is "their boat", or you may find that they are willing to be flexible within certain limits. Know the limits before you splash as it is very hard to negotiate once you are underwater.

We are repeat customers of an operation that enforces a very strict 60 minute time limit. We often enjoy 70 minutes dives with them if we splash first and can easily be seen from the boat as the rest of the divers are boarding. We splash first, board last. The Dm's are aware of our plan / desire and are okay with it. But this happens before the dove, not after it.

KWS makes some excellent safety points. And I tend to agree with (the "other") DiveMaster_Tom on buddy separation. I dive a lot of solo shallow dives, but when I am with a buddy my first rule is always be within short enough distance to render immediate help. I know that can be stretched a bit in clear 100- viz water as opposed to the North Atlantic. There are also some good ideas such as air share practise and a redundant air source aka pony bottle (but it may have to be a big one if your tank psi is too low). The bigger tank for you may be the better way. I'm just not comfortable with you 15' away from a 15 year old regardless of how much air you have--but then again, I am probably one of the few anywhere who thinks it's crazy for 12 (even) 10 year olds to be on scuba (having probably taught thousands of them as a teacher). I know lots of 15 year olds can be very mature in comparison to many others we know, but I would be concerned about the chances of panic. I even think about it myself, as in 9 years I haven't yet been in any real tight situation. I guess I'm very conservative.

Of course I agree that from what you say the DM should've been way more discreet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom