Enriched air diver certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok forgive me guys I'm either a little slow, a little confused, a little retarded, or ALOT of all 3 lol, but I'm not getting something here:

This relates to me so I'm trying to understand. I just did my BOW and am progressing onwards. I believe that the AOW is what's next. Now if I am reading this right, the AOW consists of 5 total dives; 2 of which can be starter dives towards other specialties (for example 2 of my 5 dives may be nitrogen and wreck, and they will each count as 1 of my 5 needed dives in that speciality course (nitrogen and wreck)

So AOW is 5 total dives (2 of which may count toward other programs)

Those "other programs" will be 5 dives each, with 1 allowed from the AOW

5 programs plus AOW and Rescue qualifies for Master Scuba Diver training

Right lol :idk:

Thanks everyone

And PS.... I have ALOT of water time in the military and am very comfortable in the water. But now need my civilian certs

AOW is 5 dives that each represent one dive of five specialties. Those specialties usually are comprised of two individual dives (and some book work). If you do AOW, you've got one of the two dives (and none of the specialty bookwork).

For most of the specialties, you don't need AOW - you can take them as OWD certified. Most specialties are (in my opinion) a waste of money, EAN is an exception because you actually NEED EAN to get fills of those mixes (you don't need, for instance, a Navigation specialty to lead yourself on a dive and you don't need to be Boat Diving certified to board a charter).

AOW is sometimes required by some operations for deeper dives, but that's not hard and fast - it's usually left up to the Ops discretion.

I kind of understand. Here is a question though. If I go through AOW, can I do 2 EAN dives and do that in conjunction with the others

1 additional dive you say for the EAN?

So then if I do the bookwork for the EAN ahead of time couldn't I do the 2 dives needed for the EAN cert during the AOW training or no

Thanks

Double check with your instructor - but as I understand it yes, because the EAN specialty is available for OWD certified divers you can buy the book, fill out the knowledge reviews and then discuss with your AOW instructor.

I'm gonna check that out.

Thanks

See if this helps: You MUST do five different dives for the AOW. Two of them are prescribed, those being deep and nav. The other three are your choice. At the end of the AOW class, you are not "certified" to do anything you didn't do before, except your recommended depth limitation is now 100 feet instead of 60.

If you do one Nitrox dive as part of your AOW, you must do a second one OUTSIDE of the AOW class to complete the specialty, IF your instructor requires two dives. You cannot do two Nitrox dives as part of your AOW, and PADI does not allow you to count a single dive toward two objectives (so you can't dive Nitrox on your deep dive and count it as both a deep and Nitrox dive).

The specialties have different lengths, in terms of pool and/or OW dives. You may count your dive from your AOW as one of the requires dives. For example, if I remember correctly, PPB requires two dives, so one AOW dive can count, but you must do another dive OUTSIDE of your AOW class to complete the specialty.

With the exception of dry suit, very few specialties will have any impact on what you are allowed to do anywhere. A few resorts limit your depth if you have not done the deep specialty (I think we've been to one.) Otherwise, you are free to take pictures, identify fish, dive the exterior of wrecks, do complex navigation, or whatever takes your fancy, with or without the cards. With a good instructor, you will be BETTER at those things for having taken the training. But you may do them anyway.

Thanks Sand that does help.

So I can do the AOW and include say the EAN then I only need 1 more EAN dive outside the AOW for the card. The other dives I do as part of the AOW may be counted as the 1st dive towards that specialty. Say I do a wreck dive in AOW, that dive will count as dive 1 if I continue and do the wreck specialty course.

How many dives are needed in each specialty (sorry if that's a dumb question)

Thanks for the follow up everyone

There are oodles and oodles of specialty courses offered by PADI. Do five of them, plus the rescue diver course and you are qualified as a Master Scuba Diver. many dive centers offer a "package deal on a cluster of 5 specialty course, and you should ask about that. I am a big proponent of continuing diver education through classes, but before you stock up on them, get some dives in.
DivemasterDennis

Plus, u need 50 logged dives too. For the Master Scuba Diver Certificate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom