Entangled for the first time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Entanglement is always a potential problem in diving. I always dive with my knife strapped to my leg; I've been able to access it there from any position. I've also had entanglement issues many, many times. Kelp diving is not the only way to get tangled, but most of the kelp canopy is in that top 5 feet of water.

The problem that watchmanjc had derived from the number of tasks he was trying to accomplish. Having a fish on the line diverts attention from the environment around the diver, and watchmanjc had the need to get the fish under control. Kelp moves with the surge, and with the diver's movements. Entanglement happens when those movements are reversed, and the kelp catches on a piece of equipment or on the diver. Stopping, like watchmanjc did, and figuring out what needed to be done is what needs to happen to preclude further problems and entanglements.

Perhaps the worst case of entanglement occurred when I was making a Pararescue training parascuba jump in 1967 during our training. Somehow one suspension line had made a clove hitch around my riser, and on the way down I tried to get it undone. These were slip risers, so to function correctly I needed to remove a fork from the riser near the capewell release on my parachute harness. But because of the clove hitched riser group, I would not be able to steer even if I detached the fork, so I concentrated on the knot. When I got close to the water's surface, I realized that I needed to release the fork in order to release the riser group to deflate the parachute. But I hit the water before that could happen, and could not release that side. The parachute still inflated, I was drug some distance before I could get the other side released (regulator in mouth, but mask still behind my head). When I did finally deflate the parachute, I simply stayed in the water and got my breath back. But there were 32 parachute lines around me, and on top of me. So I became very entangled in them. I kept my regulator in my mouth (this was Eglin Bay, Florida, so not much in the way of waves). The recovery boat came over, and picked me up with the entangled 'chute still around me. The instructor quizzed me about what happened, and then asked me what I would have done if this was a real mission. I told him no problem on the real mission jump, as I would simply have taking my knife out and cut away all the lines--I didn't want to do that in a training jump, as the boat was right there and parachutes were valuable. I was wearing my own dive knife, an orange-handled Sportsways dive knife with Soligen steel, which was razor sharp (I like my knives). It was not an issued USD knife, which were notorious for poor steel quality and an inability to keep an edge. That satisfied the instructor, but took me out of the running for outstanding student. I still think someone purposely put that clove hitch on my riser group.

I have been solo diving rivers for many, many years. I am now diving in the Clackamas River near Portland, Oregon. Because of boat traffic, I initially tried diving there (High Rocks, for those who know the river) with a dive flag. I got it from he LDS, and it was the classic design with the flag on a post which had a styrofoam float, a small weight on the end, and a place to put the line. I used a strong nylon cord for the line. But when I went into some high current areas (I didn't have as much current on the bottom as the float experienced on the surface), the styrofoam float pulled off over the dive flag, and the whole thing then sank to the bottom, entangling in the rocks. I tried to recover it, but it started entangling in my legs. I cut that free, then left the whole thing on the bottom. I don't dive a dive flag there now, but wear a high visibility helmet when I dive there so boaters can see me if I surface in the center of the river. But I also make a point to surface only near a projecting rock, one which a boat would have a hard time with.

Last winter, I dove that area in February with a full wet suit (water temp in the high 30s F). I was in about 20 feet of water and found I could not get off the ground. The reason--my gauge was tangled in fishing line. I cut that line with my knife, and continued the dive routinely. Fishing line in rivers is a real problem, both for me and the fish. About a month ago I found a norther pike minnow (a fish about a foot long) swimming around an obstacle. He had been hooked, and had tangled around some wood on the bottom. The fisherman had broken his line, and there the poor fish was, hooked to the wood. I freed him with my knife is just a few seconds.

When we dive solo, we need to be mentally prepared for entanglement as it occurs frequently underwater. Here's a few tips about how to cope:

--As watchmanjc did, keep your head and figure out what's happening. Keep your regulator in your mouth (seems like something you don't need to say, but it is important).
--Find the point of entanglement. You may have to look in different places, as it may be almost invisible (monofiliment line, for instance).
--Keep your sharp knife where you can get to it from any position. Use it to cut yourself free.
--Once free, reholster your knife into the sheath carefully (you can get cut doing this).

On the preventative side, there are many things that can be done too. In Pararescue, we had our tanks (double 40s) with what we called a "manifold guard." This was a piece of metal banding which went over the manifold and protected it from parachute lines. On top of the manifold guard, we used masking tape to make a complete shield for the manifold. I think masking tape could be appropriately used to cover projections of current diving configurations too when diving in kelp country. When entanglement is a potential problem, wear a leg knife on the inside of the leg. My preferred place is actually on the outside of my right leg, but for kelp diving I put it on the inside (haven't done that in years though).

In entanglement situations, realize that movement is your enemy. Plan each movement to define the problem. Fast motions tend to complicate entanglements, whereas slow motions can define the entanglement, where it is, what the restrictions are, and how to deal with or cut yourself out of it.

watchmanjc, thanks for sharing you post. Entanglement is a major issue for all solo divers, and we are all solo even if diving with a buddy if that buddy swims out of sight.

SeaRat

Well, I accidentally made a duplicate post, so I'll add a bit. One diver said he wears three cutting blades, and this would be a good idea. When I was in the USAF (many, many years ago), I wore my leg knife, and we always had one knife on top of our reserve parachute. So we basically made the parascuba jumps with two knives. Duplication cannot hurt, but I have not done this with my sports solo diving, as I am pretty confident of my leg knife. But I also don't go into the water without it. Mine is a Wenoka with the button keeper, a five inch blade, two serrated surfaces, and a hook line cutter all on the one blade. I like longer blades, with good sharp cutting surfaces. I'm looking at the knife now, and see I need to sharpen it. Learn to sharpen knives, and keep the cutting edge razor sharp. Do this by getting a wetstone, sharpening oil, and using a circular motion grind the cutting surface at about a 20-30 degree bevel on both sides. Use the coarse stone first, then the fine stone. Look at the edge in sunlight, straight down. If you can see the edge, it is not sharp. When it becomes invisible, you are there. I follow it up with a sharpening steel. With good steel, you should be able to cut the arm hairs (males) off your lower arm.

SeaRat

Last edited:
I like what John C. says ; Keep that knife razor sharp. A dull knife in time of need could cost ya.

I think the first time you find yourself caught in something is real learning experience. Mine was also kelp, at a dive site new to me, in marginal viz, and my buddy didn't realize I had a problem and swam off until I couldn't see him. All the stories I had read of people getting caught in kelp and drowning came rushing into my head, but so did what I had read of how to cope with it. Like the OP, I methodically worked at freeing myself, without thrashing, and just as I got the last strand worked free, my buddy returned. It was a non-event, but I can certainly see how someone who has done this might feel it a noteworthy experience.

But I think I would have jettisoned the fish . . . :)

I pretty much have an identical story except genders were exchanged. :) It was at Breakwater for me.

Normally I'd be inclined to agree, DD ... but the fact that the OP was able to quell his momentary feelings of anxiety and work his way through the problem calmly tells me more about his qualifications to solo dive than the number of dives he's done.

Everyone progresses at their own rate. I've known people with 30 dives who look more competent in the water than other people I've known with 300 dives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That is so true... some divers complete hundreds of dives but behave as if they just repeated dive #1 several 100 times, then others acquire quite a bit of knowledge on each and every dive.
Like Lynn said no matter what, the first time you encounter a problem the blood pressure is going to spike, what you do afterward is what counts.

The OP obviously got the message that all is not well. So he had 2000psi to deal with it, lucky for him. Now he knows what it took to solve the problem, if tomorrow he only has xxxpsi (whatever amount less) and encounters similar issue he should be fine, apply his solution and go on. It may be so easy he probably won't even post about it.

Well he had a SCUBA tank. Still some have had problems under thick surface mats of kelp with drowning and near drownings along our coast within inches of the surface.

Those that do not dive our waters may not realize the danger which can be compounded with our unpredictable seas and limited visibility. It may be light humor to some.

Post in NorCal section a couple of years ago describes the attempted rescue of a freediver that drowned entangled in kelp with finger tips inches from surface as if reaching. While his significant other/buddy cried for help within feet of him.

As already mentioned, any Spearo that gets a fish line tangled up from the fish swimming around in the kelp just has to stop and think rather than react to get to the surface or pull. Like was already said single kelp stands can easily be broken (Not bull kelp stock). Do not depend on a knife when kelp diving. It can be dropped as is the case with some drownings. As already discussed, learn how to stop and assess the situation, back-up and loosen, minimize/modify gear that can get tangled, break kelp with hands/teeth, etc.

A brother from another forum suggested that I should have swam down as kelp floats and might have untangled. As I recall, it was very surgy, and avoiding the kelp all together might have been the best course to take.

Kelp in the shallows can be a true test, I spent more time in kelp than any place else as I truly love it. I would avoid the shallows hunting if there is a strong surge. you might have cleared your catch deeper away from the surge if there was any depth to speak of. I also have taken my reg and purged a hole in the canopy to allow me to surface and take a visual heading. So Cal had a program called reefs, rocks and rips. It deals with the ins and outs of shore and kelp diving. I did the class twice years back. I believe it was a GLACD event or maybe from a San Diego group. I dive the rig I use just because it's really easy to slide it off one shoulder and clear the regs of kelp

"Entangled for the first time!"

Sobering experience, isn't it?

the K

I like what John C. says ; Keep that knife razor sharp. A dull knife in time of need could cost ya.

after sharpening i warm my knife & cover it with beeswax, it keeps its sharpness & protects the steel against salt water.

i was once given a lecture by someone about how dive shops were trying to rip us all off & that we should use kitchen knives instead, personally i'm happier with a more solid knife which i know is unlikely to break when i try to cut some line.

PS, i'm impressed that you recognised the panic for what it was, supressed it and dealt with the problem.

Back
Top Bottom