Entry level computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to get my recently certified buddy a gift for completing his classes and I thought of getting him an entry level, wrist mount dive computer. Nothing fancy, just the basics.....no nitrox, no ai, no download.....just to get him going in the right direction.

Any suggestions for the best unit for the least amount of $$$? That is easy enough to use, yet good enough to spend money on?

The AI is quite dispensible but why bother buying one with no Nitrox & no download? Surely the price difference for any of the well known brands is minimal if you let him buy his own interface.
Most of the really cheap ones are not worth buying and you won't be doing him any favours.
If you don't want to go for something decent like a SUUNTO Vyper or similar, choose another gift.

To answer your question.....the Genesis Resourse if a fine , simple, dependable and backed by the company computer so long as you buy it from an lds.

Other simple options is an Oceanic. Quite similar to the Genesis.

Personally, I have no requirement for those with transmitters...or down loads...it is all a personal thing.

The most I would recommend based on your question is to "consider" a computer that does nitrox....and in that line....look at the Genesis React.
rich

Well the ones I was considerign so far, are:

Oceanic VEO 100 or 180
Genesis React PRO
Uwatec Aladin Sport Plus or Smart PRO
Aeris Atmos 1 or Atmos 2 (which is the same as the Oceanic)
Suunto Gekko

...any other suggestions? Comments on the above?

Get one that is easy for the user to replace the batteries. I have a Genesis and it works great...

The atmos ONE is the one you want. Scubatoys.com, go there and then call Larry. I believe it's only $165 there. Warranty and awesome price.!!! It fits your price requirement and will be your friends computer for years to come assuming he doesn't get into nitrox. I think the atmos 2 would be even better for around $300 or less. Again, call Larry at Scubatoys.com and he will give you a great price. I have seen them for way under $300 online. Good luck and welcome your friend to diving for us all. JMHO's.

Tamas:

Suunto Gekko
I don't like the gekko. It lacks some features that on the surface don't seem important but actually limit the computer's usefulness. A quick search should turn up a few things.

Tamas:

Oceanic VEO 100 or 180
Genesis React PRO
Uwatec Aladin Sport Plus or Smart PRO
Aeris Atmos 1 or Atmos 2 (which is the same as the Oceanic)
Suunto Gekko

...any other suggestions? Comments on the above?

Tamas--

I have an Oceanic Veo 100. Does all I need it to do, assuming no NITROX. And it's cheap.

Big advantage to these types of computers is that the battery is user-replaceable, and is available very cheaply if you don't order the "kit" for like $23 that include an o-ring and grease.

Another advantage is that you have a lot of flexibility in placing it... on a wrist mount, hose mount, or -- with some adaptation -- into a console.

Disadvantage is that the 100 doesn't have any audible alarms.

You're right, there are several parallel clones for these "hockey=puck" computers, functionally identical but with different cosmetics and brands.

I've just heard about the Veo 180. Very interesting; it does NITROX and has audible alarms, but looks a bit MSRP-cheaper than the Veo 200. Since it only has one button, I would assume the operation is a bit more complicated. But I haven't seen it offered very widely yet... I assume there will be identical models offered by other brands too.

--Marek

scubadobadoo:
The atmos ONE is the one you want. Scubatoys.com, go there and then call Larry. <snip> I think the atmos 2 would be even better for around $300 or less. Again, call Larry at Scubatoys.com and he will give you a great price. I have seen them for way under $300 online. Good luck and welcome your friend to diving for us all. JMHO's.

EXACTLY!!!

I have had good luck with the Oceanic computers, both a Data 100 and a 100 plus. Which ever you choose, I would recommend going ahead and getting one with nitrox. User changeable and common type batteries is a big plus to me. A friend of mine had trouble finding a battery for his Mares a few weeks ago and it was $15 when he found it. My Oceanic takes common button type batteries that are easy to find and cost around $2 each (needs 2).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom