Entry Level Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sagehen03

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I'm a recently certified diver and I was wondering if folks had recommendations for a beginner dive computer. I've never dove with a computer so I'm not sure what to look for feature-wise. Also, if anyone has a sense for the price range I should look for, and where the best deals are in the Boston area, I'd appreciate that too.

If you are looking for a wrist-mounted computer, the Suunto Gekko is decently priced with enough features for a recreational diver (depth, dive time, temp, etc..). It is not air integrated.

From Suunto's Website:
Suunto Gekko

Last edited:
I would suggest the zeagle n2ition, it's reasonably priced and works well. You can get it in console mount or wrist mount, which is what I have.

First off, welcome to the underwater world!

I have a Mares M2, you can get one from Scubatoys for less than $200. It's single gas, will work with air or nitrox, and also has a 'Bottom Timer Only' setting, so you can use it as a backup timer should you want to upgrade to a better computer. Also, it uses user-replacable 'AAA' batteries.

If you're thinking about getting into nitrox or multi-gas dives, a lot of people are going to tell you to save up and invest in a high-end computer right off the bat. That's also good advice, but it's ultamately up to you to make the decision.

Some things I looked for in a computer:

Nitrox Compatable
Bottom Timer Mode
Dive Logging
PC Downloadable

Hope this helps, and that you enjoy diving as much as I do!

If you are looking for a wrist-mounted computer, the Suunto Gekko is decently priced with enough features for a recreational diver (depth, dive time, temp, etc..). It is not air integrated.

From Suunto's Website:
Suunto Gekko

I would second the recommendation for the Suunto Gekko. It can be used with both air and nitrox should you decide to do your nitrox course at some point.

It's easy to read, and it doesn't constantly squawk at you like some of the other computers that fellow divers have used.

I also can recommend the Gekko........

I like the conservatism and the glowing back screen is great for night dives.........
I actually prefer it the Vyper for night dives.........

Since I carry 2 computers when I dive so the Vyper goes in a pocket and the Gekko goes on my wrist.........

Hope this helps...........M

Congrats on getting certified! You will most likely hear a million different opinions on computers over here. I use this Oceanic Worldwide - Personal Dive Computers - GEO Wristwatch and it works well, my only complaint is that the wrist strap is a little hard to fasten with a heavy wetsuit.

If you look around you can find last years model for a lot cheaper. For buying online I like Divers Direct, Scuba Toys (both authorized dealers for everything they sell) and Leisure Pro (not an authorized dealer for everything they sell).

The most important thing with the computer is to know your limits and don't follow the computer blindly. Enjoy diving and everything it has to offer!

Get Suunto Stinger or D4 you won't need another until you manage to break it - you'll thank me later :)

Back
Top Bottom