Environmental Seal First Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100ftdown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've heard from some more aged divers that before environmental kits were a thing, they would cover their first stage with rubber. A balloon or...other readily available rubber items. Is this feasible? Would the first stage still function without any liquid being able to enter. I'm specifically thinking of a Conshelf 14 first stage for myself personally.

It probably isn’t necessary for most people in most conditions. Most icing and freeflows are the result of poor surface behaviour. That said, various regulators have used everything from vodka to silicone or christolube packed into the environmentally exposed part.

I'm specifically thinking of a Conshelf 14 first stage for myself personally.
For that I'd recommend just locating a Conshelf supreme end cap or a pre 2008 titan dry sealed end cap. I'm currently running a Supreme that I packed with silicone grease instead of silicone oil. Works like a champ. Main thing with the improvised sealing methods was to fill them with something incompressible (vodka used to be used due to the lower freezing point than water) so it transmits the ambient water pressure. If I was going to go full improv on a Conshelf, I'd look for a silicone shot glass to zip tie over the end cap and pack the ambient chamber with silicone grease.

Respectfully,

James

I used the Poseidon rubber condom cap filled with vodka for years and years

For that I'd recommend just locating a Conshelf supreme end cap or a pre 2008 titan dry sealed end cap. I'm currently running a Supreme that I packed with silicone grease instead of silicone oil. Works like a champ. Main thing with the improvised sealing methods was to fill them with something incompressible (vodka used to be used due to the lower freezing point than water) so it transmits the ambient water pressure. If I was going to go full improv on a Conshelf, I'd look for a silicone shot glass to zip tie over the end cap and pack the ambient chamber with silicone grease.

Respectfully,

James
Sounds like I'm in the hunt for a new end cap!

For less money I’m thinking you can find a a more modern first stage with a better hose configuration. Something like a Zeagle DS iv or DSv.

For less money I’m thinking you can find a a more modern first stage with a better hose configuration. Something like a Zeagle DS iv or DSv.
This is strictly for me wanting to have a complete reg that I can service myself and it be able to handle 99% of the situations I'd put myself in.

The environmental seal is mostly for extensive pool training and PSD diving.

This is strictly for me wanting to have a complete reg that I can service myself and it be able to handle 99% of the situations I'd put myself in.

The environmental seal is mostly for extensive pool training and PSD diving.
You would find the Zeagles fill that bill in spades.

Back
Top Bottom