equalization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Wong

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have over 30 logged dives and notice that I need to decend slowly for a trouble free equalization. I just wonder how dive masters manage to equalize so fast? What is their secret or technique in doing a fast trouble free equalization?

regularly you will probably find it comes easier. I never really think about it - I just do it!

Whatever you do - don't push it! Go at your pace and don't force it. If you feel the need to force it - ascend a bit and equalise.

If you are equalising when you "go deaf" or it's hurting then it's too late. Equalise early and often.

Good luck
Jonathan

Thanks for your reply Jonathan. I couldn't help noticing your Tokyo location. Do you dive the Asian region often?

First of all, thanks for all your reply especially to scubadoc. The artical was most helpful. However I was interested in techniques of doing a fast equalization. I often find that I will be the last one to decend.

Jonathan, yes you should try Malaysia. Sipadan, Mabul, Dayang, Tenggol, Tioman. Diving is great but most sites (with the exception of Sipadan, Mabul and Tioman) have only basic amanities. Anyway our aim is to go diving and not lounge in some 5 star hotel facility. Right? Cheers. P/S-let me know if you happen to be diving in Malaysia. If my schedule allows me, I may buddy up with you for a dive.

I am a very slow equalizer too, and my buddy doesn't like to wait for me either (I don't have any scuba diving friends).

I am versed in the practice of buddy jumping as I am a slow equalizer and a very efficient air user becuase of my large lung capacity and big leg mucles (not no marathon runner though cant even run a mile). Most say its ok as long as I am not actually diving alone.

I try to stay in the 30-40ft range. Some of them 10-30ft night dives or 3rd/4th dives can be hard on my ears. Nothing, except maybe a wreck or the occastion urge for a thrill ride would motivate me going below 40ft (The deepest ive been was 120ft -- that was for a thrill -- watch the 'puter closely :) Never time for anything below 80ft.

Tim,

I too have a hard time equalizing, so I descend slower than my buddy. He rockets to the bottom with no difficulty. I descend at a reasonable rate (I think). Once I am below 35 ft I seem to have no trouble. My recommendation is to descend at the rate you feel comfortable, and find a buddy that respects it; but that doesn.t answer your question.

DMs have suggested to me to start equalizing before I actually submerge. They also suggest as everyone else does, "equalize early and equalize often". Also, try more than one method. Try all of the methods.

Just my thoughts,

Wristshot

Hello! I experience difficulty equalizing more often than not.Was in a car wreck once,Damaged my melon.Anyway,Aside from 1/2 doses of decongestants,I find that while I am in car driving to the boat landing,limbering my ears up by closing my nose,blowing,wriggling my jar around actually does help and prepare for the dive to come.I hope this helps! Keep divng and dive safe!

Back
Top Bottom