Equalizing Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have allergy problems, I take a prescription zyrtec which works great, but at times do use afrin if I have an unusually difficult time clearing. I wouldn't recommend using afrin beyond the four day mark though, give yourself at least a two day break from it before using it again. I would also avoid using anything that could make you drowsy, because everyone is different, just because I may do well with say Sudafed doesn't mean it will work the same for you. Additionally be sure your buddy knows that you have difficulty with allergies, and that you have take meds, just so someone else is aware of your situation and looking out for you.

I used nasal sparay last sunday-wednesday. I stopped using it yesterday afternoon to avoid a rebound effect saturday. Do you think I will be good to use it saturday without a rebound effect? Has afrin always worked for you qtacevac? Have you ever experienced reverse squeez?

I am also in my bad allergy period for the year. Stupid golden rod :yuck: I use the Claratin because Sudafed at the very least puts me off in the ozone layer and at worst makes me hallucinate, neither of which I need to have occur while diving. I'd like to maybe try the nasal spray because my ears were being really non-cooperative just in 10' of water the other day.

Most divers will use decongestants at some time or other.

Other than the risk of a reverse block if they wear off, you need to be carefull of the ingrediants if you are diving on enriched air - there is some evidence of increasing your likelyhood of oxygen toxicity problems.

Good luck - good diving

I take claritin (NOT THE CLARITIN D) just the regular claritin, in the AM, before diving, and I am CLEAR all day. I suffer from Hay-Fever, generally in the spring and fall. I have had no adverse effects from the drug taken while diving. Since it's a 24 Hour drug, I can't imagine it would wear off, like sudafed (4-6 hours).

Actually, this helps my sinuses stay clear, and I have no problems w ears, etc.

howarde:
I take claritin (NOT THE CLARITIN D) just the regular claritin, in the AM, before diving, and I am CLEAR all day. I suffer from Hay-Fever, generally in the spring and fall. I have had no adverse effects from the drug taken while diving. Since it's a 24 Hour drug, I can't imagine it would wear off, like sudafed (4-6 hours).

Actually, this helps my sinuses stay clear, and I have no problems w ears, etc.

So you say the regular clartin keeps you clear? I thought Clartin-D ment that it contains decongestants.

Claritin D has pseudoephedrine I beleive as well as lotradine. Those of us sensitive to pseudoephedrine can't have it as such.

I have not experienced a reverse block using afrin, The risk of that is minimal due to the fact that afrin usually last about 12 hours. I think you will be fine using the afrin as long as you have taken the 48 hr break. I have always done well using afrin, but I can only speak for myself. Also try and get a prescription nasal spray if possible it is not as fast acting as afrin, but after a week or so you will do pretty well, and no rebound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom