Equipment advice and hints

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDown:
Are you sure you don't want a drysuit? I think you will enjoy your cold water dives a lot more wearing one. I've read about the Pinnacle wetsuit and it appears to be a very good choice. But I don't dive wet in The Netherlands anymore since buying a drysuit 3 years ago.

Phil

I do agree with that, while I don't mind diving wet in that kind of water, A drysuit is the next thing on my list...but since Beester is just getting his kit together now, I would say start with a wetsuit and move to a drysuit when he has some more money to spend.

Jimmer:
I do agree with that, while I don't mind diving wet in that kind of water, A drysuit is the next thing on my list...but since Beester is just getting his kit together now, I would say start with a wetsuit and move to a drysuit when he has some more money to spend.

I do agree about the drysuit.. most of my club who dive through winter (no winterstop) dive dry. However most of them still dive wet in spring-summer-autumn. In that view I believe that a wetsuit is a solid investment (also looking at the pricedifference between wet and dry) for the first year(s). In a couple of years I'll start looking at drysuits.

drbill:
If the G250V is a new version of the old tried and true G250/HP, I would want to know more information. I'm not very impressed with the way ScubaPro has "upgraded" their new lines following their take over by Johnson. I love the earlier G250's and dive with them pretty much exclusively.

Another update on the G250V. I've visited my local DS to enquire further about the 2nd stage.

This is what my local guy told me:

This new 2nd stage from scubapro is called G250V (he doesn't know what the V stands for). Basically it's a re-issue of the original G250. This means metal (copper) balance tube and a metal orifice. (the G250HP had composite plastic tube and orifice). Poppet design will be slightly different as of course the outside (esthetics). It will be available in Belgium 2nd week of February.

It was quite funny talking to this guy about the G250V. He almost became poetic talking about this 2nd stage :D . He sells other regulators besides scubapro (mares, apex) and used to dive exclusively scubapro but hasn't been realy satisfied the last couple of years with regard to coldwater performance. Last year the MK17 came out and that's when he started diving Scubapro again (in combo with S550). But now he's realy looking forward to the G250V. He'll replace all his 2nd stages with the G250V when it's available.

He might look a bit like a fanboy... however he could have easily sold me another reg (mares or apex) and take my money straight away. However he realy pleaded with me to wait until this one comes out... even going as far as lending me an mk17/S555 combo to tie me over until the release. In his opinion the MK17/G250V combo will be the ultimate coldwater reg.

Hope this info helps!

Beester

beester:
Computer: Probably a wristmounted Suunto Vyper 2 (not bought yet... probably in May).

Looks like good equipment overall.

As for the computer, Suuntos are well-regarded, but the algorithm they use is considered very conservative. i.e. less bottom time. Many divers prefer the Oceanic and Aeris computers, or some other brands, because they are more liberal. Also, does the vyper have a user-replaceable battery? (another nice feature) - it has nitrox and gauge modes, dive recording and upload capability, and backlight I assume, all important features.

The first thing I was going to suggest is a drysuit but that issue has been explained. I'd keep the fins and add spring straps. I'd get a good backup light now and get your primary later. I presume you will be wearing a mask.:D

In general, I'd say look to your dive club buddies for your best advice. You will be diving with them in the conditions and profiles they dive, and while there is not one "right" set of equipment, they have already found what generally works well and what doesn't.

You didn't mention SPG. I recently bought a console with pressure and depth gauges and then started shopping for a compass. In trying to minimize the "stuff" I had to strap on, I took the never used console back to my lds and upgraded to a three gauge, adding the compass on the back. By back mounting the compass I didn't have to increase the size or weight of the console and of course,not having to pack and strap on a compass will be nice. I started diving and fell in love with all the new toys, but my I quickly realized that scaling back and consolidating as much as possible is the way to go.

Thanks for all the sound advice guys.

Computer will have to wait until my birthday (May... trying to spread the costs abit). Will keep in mind if the battery is replaceable (suunto does). Thinking about VYPER2 or aladin pro. Most people in the club said that it realy doesn't matter which brand you take... only be sure that it's modern (using RGBM) and has nitrox functionallity and maybe deepstop functionality. Both do... but I still have time to decide.

After having dived in 41°F I can honestly say that the wetsuit (pinnacle) is ok... snug as a bug on a 60ft 50 min dive, only hands got cold after about 25 min...

Wore my boots (bare iceboots) with wool socks (tip from diving buddy) and they held up quite well.

Of course a drysuit will be better but I'll wait a bit before I jump into that.

Regarding a bigger console with pressure (mano) meter-depthmeter-compass. I'll wear the compass on my wrist and have as console just the manometer. I'm not a big fan of big consoles. A manometer I can just fix by strapping it under my BC cumberband... that way I can always easily check it without it dangling all over the place.

Thanks again for the updates and advice!

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom