Equipment and Aging Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 62 and dive 2 to 3 times a week. As you know we lose flexibility and pulling my foot thru the wet suit is a bitch. I had ankle zippers in a wetsuit a few years back and really miss them. If you want to relax as you prepare to dive those zippers make it a lot more easy.
Get a reg that breaths easy.
Computer with large type face.
Spring Straps,
And dive, dive, dive!:humble::humble:

Good luck and if a diving doctor signs you off for diving then go for it. Just do not put yourself and others at risk. I am 53 and have what i think is the easiest and lightest set up around and do warm waters in South East Asia:

- Balanced BCD, weight integrated back flotation
- Scubapro Titanium MK25T.600T with slim fitting oct from Sherwood (one less hose)
- Subapro/Uwetec Galileo Sol computer air integrated with heart monitor.
- Use a DUI 30/30 dry suit (will not cure your wife's hot flashes) but is light to travel with.
- All hoses are Miflex (light)
So i have only 2 hoses and real light. SOmetimes i use a very light entry level BCD (light as a feather for travel in luggage)

regards
JOhn

Definitely buy new gear. I am 56. Aging divers and aging equipment are not a good combination. Think about it.

I am 65 and dive with some gear that is at least 50 years old.

Certainly having good equipment such as a reg that breathes easily at all depths you plan to dive and is also relatively problem free is a good thing. I've been diving for nearly 50 years now and I still rely on the ScubaPro MK10/G250 combo that I started using decades ago.

These regs have taken me to depths of 200 ft a number of times and none have failed seriously on a dive. One did get a water leak in the G250 second stage diaphragm but that was because it hadn't been serviced in a few years (I recommend servicing them of course) and another had strange cracks appear in the Mk10 first stage core... yet it continued to breathe fine for the two months I used it in Belize and Honduras.

My BCDs (ScubaPro X-Teks) are all no longer made (well, except for my BP/W) but I bought three of them after they were discontinued and that should serve me for another 30 years (when I'll be in my 90s).

Choose good, reliable equipment vintage or brand new and enjoy your diving now that you're retired!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom