Equipment for cavern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what are the equipment requirements for IANTD cavern training and what is commonly used in Mexico.

I would ask your instructor.

That would be my first choice but since the instructor has not been very good about answering emails I thought I would post it here. I am doing this on behalf of someone else.

I agree with the other poster that you should check with your instructor, but I just finished PSAI cavern and here is what I did. I upgraded a lot of gear.

BC
I had always used a Transpak, and if you are doing cavern with a single tank, it is all you need. I also did Cavern in doubles, so I upgraded to a back plate and wing, also Dive Rite. I got a steel backplate and the Classic Wing, with redundant bladder. You need flotation redundancy in either your wing, or by using a dry suit.

Regulators
I already had done the IANTD Adv Nitrox class so I had three regulators, 2 - DR RG2500s and 1 - Mares Rebel, O2 clean. I configured the long hose (7 feet) on my primary regulator, and if using a single tank, you will use an H valve on the back gas cylinder. Your SPG will go on the backup regulator which will go on the backup post. My instructor had me put my primary on the right side, and the backup on the left. Again, this is what I did. Consult with your own instructor for his preference.

For a primary light, I used a DR 10W HID from rental. I had never used a canister light before, so I wanted to try it out first before I jumped into buying one. Now, I am looking at the Salvo 21W 10.4 A model, so I am glad I didn't just buy the 10W right away.

I had 2 backup lights, but for cavern you really only need one, as the sun is truly your primary light source. Check with your instructor.

I bought a Z-knife and placed it at the top part of my harness on the right side. I also had a primary reel for running a line into the cavern from the entrance, and a spool for doing lost buddy and lost line searches. Again, your instructor will explain all of this to you.

I used a 7 mil farmer john on my 3/2 neoprene wetsuit, but I believe I will make the jump to dry suit, as longer dives in 70 degree water will push that gear to the limit for me. If you are already dry suit certified, great. If not, consider doing that at some point. But you should not need dry suit for cavern. You can use a 5-7 mil out of rental, or maybe you already have your own. Use your own judgment for what exposure protection you think you will need.

If you are using split fins, there are some kicks that you are going to learn how to do for cave and cavern that are not possible with those. I am back to using my Mares quattro pros. Ask at your LDS about a good fin for tech diving if you have not already done so. It may be that the fins you are using now will work fine.

Your instructor may require you to carry a redundant mask. You will also need a pocket for your IANTD tables. I like them because they roll up, not like PADI slates. There is really not much need for a lift bag or a sausage in a cave. You can carry those if you are going to be in open water before you enter a cave though. Check with your instructor.

You need to carry some type of timing device or a computer. You are diving on tables in the course, so there again, you should have redundancy in your timing device, if nothing else. You also need to carry a slate. I use the one that mounts on your arm, and I replaced the cheap wooden pencil with the all graphite one.

I have not purchased tanks yet, but I am looking at double LP108s. My instructor uses HP130s and I find that that little bit of extra weight is too much for me right now. If you are going to use Aluminum tanks, be sure you are properly weighted. I recommend steel tanks for entry into the overhead environment. Again, check with your instructor.

I had the IANTD Cave manual as the PSAI manual had not been published yet. It was just recently rolled out at DEMA. Either gives you a lot of good information about what your limits are as a cavern diver. Read those. Also, if you can afford some extra, go on the NSS/CDS website and order the NSS/CDS Workbook. Read that. There is lots of good reading material out there for cavern diving.

I am trying to get a week planned to complete the rest of my training through full cave in the next few weeks. I will let you know how that goes.

Best of luck to you.

In September I completed IANTD and NSS-CDS Cavern under Jim Wyatt. The required configuration was Hogarthain per the NSS-CDS book. I was good to go except Jim moved my left hip D-ring back about 2". Exposure suit was dependent upon current conditions. I did it in a 5mil because it was kinda hot.
Long hose (7') primary 2nd stage.
Bungeed back up 2nd stage.
Lights required were 1 primary and 2 back up lights per diver.
1 safety reel required per diver.
1 primary reel required per team.

Can someone tell me what are the equipment requirements for IANTD cavern training and what is commonly used in Mexico.

I took my cavern last January in Mexico, and this is the list I was given. Best course I have taken so far. Can't wait to go further:D

Backup 2nd stage on standard length hose secured around neck with necklace.
Minimum of 2 Lights - I can rent you the lights, please consult me before buying anything.
No consoles all instruments to be wrist mounted and to include dive computer or bottom timer. – If you use a console I will help you modify your equipment for the course.
Clip on spg to secure it close to the body.
Primary reel and safety reel. Included in the course if you don't have them.
Slate, pencil and dive submersible tables to be placed in pouch or pocket. wetnotes Low volume mask.
No snorkel.
Minimum of 1 small sharp cutting device (2 recommended) positioned on upper body not below the waist.
KISSA = Keep it Simple, Streamlined & Accessible
All equipment must be configured so that nothing dangles below the midline of the body when the diver is correctly trimmed in the horizontal position.
All clips to be bolt action no gate clips.

That would be my first choice but since the instructor has not been very good about answering emails I thought I would post it here. I am doing this on behalf of someone else.

If your instructor is not good about answering your questions, it might be wise to find another instructor.

If your instructor is not good about answering your questions, it might be wise to find another instructor.

Sometimes the instructor may wait to discuss with the LDS what the LDS wants to sell before making equipment recommendations. This is particularly true where an instructor teaches, for instance, at a Halcyon shop and also a Dive Rite shop. I have seen this.

Sometimes the instructor may wait to discuss with the LDS what the LDS wants to sell before making equipment recommendations. This is particularly true where an instructor teaches, for instance, at a Halcyon shop and also a Dive Rite shop. I have seen this.

That can happen, but most instructors(Cave & Cavern) will tell you what you need before hand, the reason they advise you to wait is so that you don't buy the wrong thing. Most of them don't sell gear, and most LDS's don't know what's good for cavern & cave diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom