Equipment for upcoming Live-aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cinder4320:
I'm just curious as to the group diving aspect. Are you going with a group and want to group dive or does Aquacat not allow just plain buddy diving? I dove Blackbeard's and although we were all getting in at around the same time it was definetly only buddy diving.
Miranda

Everyplace you go will have different local protocols and "rules." Even from boat to boat within the same company. Don't ever get used to one way of doing things in diving or you'll be disappointed somewhere you go.

TJcop:
Thanks for the tips!

Don: The PT Shockwave was my other choice. I still may go for that one, let's see if anyone else offers an opinion.

Regarding the gloves; I'd like to get a nice pair, but fear the scorn of other divers. Personally, I think some divers should just worry about themselves instead of making sure to comment on what someone else is wearing, or what kind of equip. I just read another post of a diver on a trip that had a bunch of funny looks as he put on his reef gloves...only to be put at ease as 1 other diver put on some gloves too.

We will have some drift dives, so I guess the alert and SS seem to be pretty much standard.

If you want gloves and they are allowed in the area, then get them and wear them. But just be sure you understand that this doesn't give you the "ok" to touch anything. This is where many divers get frustrated because some glove wearing divers decide that when wearing gloves it's all of a sudden OK to poke around and touch the coral. If you are having to ascend or decend on a line and need to hold on, then I say definitely wear the gloves.

Take a spare mask.

Its a small thing but you can't dive without it.

Just don't bring one of those underwater horn or duck things, as it scares everything away within miles and everyone will abolutely hate you (let me tell you the amount of times I've had private discussions with others - not just me talking - about divers in our group or on the boat, whatever, with those things, and all the imaginative and various orfice plugging "I'd like to's" that were stated in those conversations)...while they are great when you're at the surface for signaling "here I am" they are definitively NOT good for underwater use. On equipment, keep it simple, don't over-tow...and since you already bought one of those ridiculous things...don't over-blow....

Christi: I'm the last person to become a "toucher". My hobby is reef tanks (saltwater coral aquariums), and I have the upmost respect for the underwater world.

Cowboyneal: I have no intentions on using my dive alert underwater (it won't work anyways), but I've been told "better safe than sorry".

I'm also looking at wetsuits for the trip. My only concern is with the amount of diving, that I might want to have a little "extra" exposure protection.

I dove in 80-82 degree water in a 3mm and found myself pulling the neck to get some cool water in there. Per the Aquacat website, they say late October (when I'm going), the water temps are mid 70's. I'm hoping that the 3mm should be fine, but should I bring something else?

If you are in the water all week I would think a 5MM would suit you better.

Also mix up some 50/50 mix of white vinager and alcohol for your ears and use it after the days diving. Your pharmacy will give you an "ear dropper bottle" to put it in. Works better that the commercial stuff....I am not a doctor and am not recommending it...its just what I use.

Brent

Mid-70 degree water doing 4-5 dives a day for 6 days is definitely 5mm full suit conditions for me. Heck, I wore a 5mm full diving in Belize in December in 79 degree water and by Wed. was the envy of many who only brought 3mm suits.

I agree about ear drops, though I just buy the standard OTC ones since they're only like $2 for a bottle.

If you're looking for a noise maker, check out H2Yo. Great little rattles that don't make too much noise...just enough for those close by the hear, but not the whole world.

Have a GREAT trip and definitely post a trip report. I especially want to hear about your new PT LED light...my husband is looking at one of those for himself and first hand experience is always appreciated.

Thanks for the tips about the eardrops...they weren't even on my list of things to bring!

DiveMaven: I'm all done on noise makers. I'm sure a rap on my tank should do the trick underwater. And I will definately post a trip report...Man, I am pumped for this trip!

I've also been running everyday to get back in shape for October.
Less fat = less chance of DCI. Better shape = less breathing = more underwater time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom