Equipment insurance??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cando

Reaction score
Hello

I recently purchased all new equipment and a didgital camera and underwater housing.

I was wondering if any of you knew where the best place is to get insurance for diving equipment against damage, theft or even flooding (of the camera ofcourse).

I know there is a company in the U.S called DEPP which specifically insures dive equipment and provides flood insurance for cameras etc.....just wondering if we have anything like that up here??

Any info would be helpful. Where do you guys normally insure your equipment?

Thanks

I have a Sea&Sea MK 10 and have used DEPP since I bought it. Even had one claim processed, no problem.

I asked my friendly state farm agent.. And I was told that my dive gear was covered for theft (or if the airlines loose it) under my homeowners policy.. I was told that I could add additional coverage for more money to cover other losses..They would need an itemized list of stuff with prices etc.. The premium would be 3% of the value..I don't remember the deductible.. but it was very low.. this didn't cover flooding of the camera.. I DEPP is the only outfit that does that...

I insured my dive gear through my homeowners insurance.
my agent suggested that i itemize my equipment includiing seriel numbers etc. it added up to about 40,000.00cnd which increased my premium by 300.00cnd

I then went off to Truuk Lagoon and on the way back the airlines lost a bag....making a long story short i got it back but it had been ransacked.

the airline will pay you $1.00 per pound of lugage, and my travel insurance will pay a max of 200.00 per peice of luggage.

my insurance claim was for over $6,000.00.

my insurance company tried to deny the claim in that amount because the reconize scuba gear as one mask, snorkle, fins, reg, etc. but because i had made the itemized list of items ahead of time they were forced to pay the whole thing minus my $300.00 deductable which my travelers insurance , and the airline covered.

I recomend that prior to traveling anywere with the airline that you list and photograph your equipment then go see your insurabce agent. he also suggested that i could insure my stuff for the 300.00 a year that it cost and then when i got home cancle it and get a refund of 11/12th the cost. i didn't do this because of the claim but could have.

It includes flood as well.

I am insured with DEPP, but heard from few people who mentioned that DAN was comparable to DEPP

Loosing your photo equipment is a remote chance while flooding it is very real and very expensive to fix - that's why i went with DEPP

Back
Top Bottom