Equipment Question for those more experienced divers/instructors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you are sorely mistaken - I gave the OP my personal opinion, you are the one who took my post and tore it down piece by piece and gave me the undeserved attack first. My reply was no attack but a rebuttal to your attack, so get your facts straight.

I have no problem with your rebuttal of opinion, just don't question or make presumptions about my shop affiliation or relationship to my LDS. I am a working DM and have a great relationship with my LDS. I'm not nearly as anti-LDS as I might appear simply because I tend to take the devil's advocate position and my statements about dive shops in general do not necessarily apply to mine.

I appreciate the input from all of you...

At this point, I think that I am going to wait on my gear, and rent a few different Back Inflate styles to decide which I like... The little boss is pretty well set on getting the ScubaPro package. So I am just going to bite the bullet and get hers.

So in the realm of dive computers/wrist style only, how does the Mares series rate?? Was actually looking at a few different ones on LP & Scubatoys, tried to get my LDS to price match, but they won't budge...

I have decided, I would just get a Nitrox cap wrist computer, and rent the other stuff.

Once again, though seriously thanks for the valuable input, I do understand that several people have some serious opinions regarding where to purchase the gear. Just glad that we could all play nice... mostly...

Happy diving, and see ya on the bottom...:D

I'm a little late on this, but I have to say that I have MK25/S600s and I absolutely love them. I also use, after going through THREE computers which I discarded for various reasons, an Aladin Tech 2g which is my hands-down favorite gauge so far.

One of the things a lot of us have discovered as we've grown in diving and gone through various iterations of gear, is that you can spend less money on good equipment, or more money on superb equipment, and both work; it's just one makes you happier than the other (and may work better under more extreme conditions).

The price package seems pretty fair for those items.

I have a few dives with a Nighthawk BC and I will say it is a very nice piece of gear, comfortable, easy and smooth to access the weights, and just overall very user-friendly. I don't really like the air2, but for rec diving it is ok I suppose. I use a MK25af/G250hp with a G250hp octo, a great regulator setup but I don't have enough experience to say it is better or worse than any other. As for supporting your LDS, I think if you do have a problem with your gear, or need a loaner, or maybe need some warranty support, then shipping stuff back and forth and dealing with a telephone personality will probably be the less satisfying option. If you have the ability to take care of/manage your own gear intricacies then maybe you don't have to care about those things as much. A computer is nice and probably ok for most rec diving, but don't let it replace your skills and knowledge of dive tables. Congrats on having a dive partner like yours:14:, I am not sure if my gf will ever show any interest, but I remain ever hopeful!

The least expensive new regulator you can buy, at least from any of the "major" manufacturer's is a good, usable, serviceable regulator. Buying near or at the top of the line, except in the rare case of a manufacturing defect, will get you something that thirty years ago we could only dream about (unless you were already hip to the Cyclon 300 back then). What you do get is varying degrees of "customer support" if something goes wrong. This is not to say that others don't do a good job, but I have personal knowledge of the incredible customer support provided by Oceanic. When I needed regulator parts in Tromso, and I needed it yesterday (if you know what I mean) they managed to get it there the next morning. The new Oceanic EOS may well be the best performing regulator that's ever been made.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head here! You can buy regs with any number of bells and whistles, but basically any on the market now are good, dependable regulators. Take note that Aeris (sister company to Oceanic, so they probably do too) offers 20% off on tradeins of any conditions, so it might behoove you to research their products as well. Never overlook Zeagle's line of BCs and regulators; they're comfortably priced and some of the best equipment on the market.

The "deal" they are offering is Scubapro Pilot BCD, MK25/S600 reg with AIR2, and Aladin Tek2 computer with gauge and compass for the grand total of $1275.00 each.

#2 question: Is this a good deal? Or is Scubapro over rated?

Scubapro is a good make - their regulators and those from Apeks are really the only brands which are used widely by the tech diving community. Apeks are probably the better choice for cold water but for warmer water either is good.

As for the computer, I'd get a basic, entry level nitrox computer. The bells and whistles on the more expensive computer are largely unusable and pointless. You don't need them for rec diving and they aren't sufficient for tech diving.

I have not read the entire thread so excuse me if I repeat anything.

The set up you listed is not in my opinion a matched set.

The Pilot BC is a basic starter unit more fit for the rental pool than a serious diver. It is not weight integrated. I think you will be sorry very quickly you did not go intergrated.

The MK25 is the top of the line. It is overbalanced which means it get easier to breath the deeper you go. I would stick with the MK17 unless every dive you do is below 100 feet' and the Mk 11 if you are doing doing warmer shallower water.

The computer will be great for now. It is relatively easy to use.

You can see more on ScubaPro regulators at Review of ScubaPro SCUBA Diving Regulators

I would be concerned about a dive shop who only handled one brand.
ScubaPro regulators are IMHO very good but not the only regulator that will get the job done. Watch out if you buy ScubaPro online you will not get the manufacturers warranty. It is against the dealers agreement to sell online or even ship the gear.

I have ordered a Nitrox Computer through Scubatoys .... EEKKK!!! Nah... but I did order it from them after talking with them about warranty and service. Gave me a great excuse to order a few other things that I wanted as well....

Incidentally, I ventured over to the "other" LDS, here in the OKC metro, and have made some new friends. Great store with multiple lines of equipment, and they allow daily, weekend, and week long rentals, with all monies used on rental applied to gear purchased in store, if purchased within 3 weeks of rental... So on my Broken Bow trip we are renting 3 full setups a piece, and 3 styles of tanks... with all rental fees going towards our full gear setup purchases...

I have definitely seen the light, a store that didn't shrink from asking about tech gear or back inflates, or such... and they didn't push at all on anything. And have stated that they will price match with the online outfitters for business...

All in all, a great deal...

Thanks for everyone's input...

Hey, sounds like you might have found a good shop. It's amazing what you'll find if you drive just a few miles out of your way.

Good luck with your upcoming gear purchases. And don't sweat taking it slow!

-Ben

Congrats on finding a good shop. And to think you never would have found them if you had remained "loyal" to the first shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom