Equipment swap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did this in my OW class. Not the buddy breathing part, but the equipment replacement.

jonnythan:
We did this in my OW class. Not the buddy breathing part, but the equipment replacement.

We all did. but like Lorien said....it's harder than it first appears. You have to sit and plan it with your buddy and most won't do it the first time without having to surface.

The main thing that helped me was planning the exchange in detail at the surface -- what order you'll swap stuff, how many breaths when buddy breathing, etc. Then, take your time. My buddy for the exchange was a woman about half my size -- we wanted to make it interesting for the group who had assembled around the pool to watch the spectacle. I think they were disappointed because our exchange came off without a hitch! (I hear that usually it can be a lot of fun to observe.) The swimsuit exchange was a bit challenging, though. :wink:

- Dave

I have my students do it in their OW course. It's a great confidence building excercise. The key to success is to discuss each step in advance. If you know exactly what you are going to do and when and you know exactly what your buddy will do and when, it becomes easy. At the DM level, you should be able to accomplish it without letting go of the regulator.

At the D/M level, the exchange of gear is to be completed while "buddy breathing".
Forces the divers to focus on more than one major task at a time.

My instructor told me about a buddy pair that performed this the *BEST* he's ever seen... accomplished in approx 5 mins or less.....

Of course he did not reveal their secrets until after our class completed the exercise..

1st person - Lady, 5'0" - 110 lbs soaking wet.
2nd person - Man, 6'2" - 225+

Could not have been a bigger difference in physique ....

Walter:
I have my students do it in their OW course. .

Walter, you must have developed a unique style to this to be able to do it and not have your buddy touch your gear. :D :D (Sorry Walter, I couldn't resist... :D )

My instructor, his wife (also an instructor) and their instructor did a 3 person gear swap with one reg. They said they were bored one day.

We had a married couple DM candidates in the pool last Sunday for their gear swap. Took 5 tries and was very entertaining to watch.

I can't wait until I've finished mine so that I will have earned the right to enjoy the show put on by my fellow students. Think we'll go first.

It's not just a gear swap.... but a complete removal of all gear (even mask, fins) then donning the gear while buddy breathing.

We did not swap each individual piece..

So after we doffed ALL the gear, swapped masks, we still needed to [find] collect the gear and don. While buddy breathing....

From some of the posts it seems like you swapped items one at a time... Just wanted to clarify.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom