Equipment swap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

countryboy:
No, we were specifically told to remove ALL gear before we started to re-don the equipment.... Last was the mask.. stinks when you are the one to put the mask on but can't clear it until your buddy gives the reg back... after that it was easier...

I'm not taking the DM, and I'm not trying to fish out hints for those about too, but I'm curious about something. Why is every one talking about sharing a single regulator when there are two sets of gear? Is it part of the rules because it seems like you could just take every thing off, grab a reg from the new gear you're going to put on and go to work redressing?

Kriterian:
Why is every one talking about sharing a single regulator when there are two sets of gear?

It's a problem solving exercise. The standards specifically state that the equipment swap must be done while buddy breathing. It's got nothing to do with the real world. It's about seeing if DMC's can solve problems under a little stress.

R..

Diver0001:
It's a problem solving exercise. The standards specifically state that the equipment swap must be done while buddy breathing. It's got nothing to do with the real world. It's about seeing if DMC's can solve problems under a little stress.

R..

Is PADI's definition of buddy breathing to use a single regulator passed back and forth between the two divers? I understand the test and the reasoning behind it, I just wasn't sure why there is only one air source in the scenario.

Kriterian:
Is PADI's definition of buddy breathing to use a single regulator passed back and forth between the two divers?

That's right. One regulator passed back and forth. In the PADI system you need to learn to buddy breathe for DM. I think most instructors introduce it at the rescue diver level.

R..
P.S. Anyone ever tell you that you look like Jay Lenno?

I agree that the challenge changes by removing the element of surprize and replacing it with anticipation. But divemasters just can't keep their mouths shut about a good dive story. Most of what I've heard about this exercise, I've learned from those who have previously done it at my LDS. Shame, shame for revealing trade secrets.

This has been so much fun, guys, and thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread. I'll let you know what happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom