Ethics in Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, regulations don't make things ethical. 100 day's made a great comment.

Legal does not mean ethical. Ethical does not mean moral.

TwoBit

just a really bad personal thing with me I guess... just could not help making the remark. I guess regulations make things ethical don't they? (sorry, couldn't help making that remark either)

Are you sharing your experience and ideas on being a Freediving Spearo related to this thread or are you trolling to make your opinion known?

just a really bad personal thing with me I guess... just could not help making the remark. I guess regulations make things ethical don't they? (sorry, couldn't help making that remark either)

Do you hold your breath when you hit McDonald's? Or the supermarket? What the heck does breath-holding when hunting have to do with where you get your dinner? Silly. :shakehead:

Oh, and to those that think spearfishing (or hunting in general) is a sport, you're sick in the head. Sports require two sides both willing to engage. Shooting fish doesn't qualify. And I don't have anything against spearing for the sake of eating. But if you're getting off on the kill as opposed to the meal, seek help.

Do you hold your breath when you hit McDonald's? Or the supermarket? What the heck does breath-holding when hunting have to do with where you get your dinner? Silly. :shakehead:

Straw man arguement. Doesn't work.

Oh, and to those that think spearfishing (or hunting in general) is a sport, you're sick in the head. Sports require two sides both willing to engage. Shooting fish doesn't qualify. And I don't have anything against spearing for the sake of eating. But if you're getting off on the kill as opposed to the meal, seek help.

You are posting in the wrong Forum. May want to edit your post. I can go to Safeway for my meal - no need to kill my meal - it is just more sporting - see CA-DFG recreational fishing is sport fishing.

let me clarify... spearing fish while holding your breath is the only way I spear fish... regulations allowing scuba or not.. and like I said.. it's a personal thing with me that my opinion is that spearing while not using scuba is just the better way.. completely my opinion.. I don't care if you scuba and spear.. I've been to tournaments where I was one of the two freediving and everyone else was using scuba.. we all got along fine.. but I know who the "real" spearfisherman was.. hahaha

and I was being sarcastic in that regulations make things ethical.. that's nuts to think that because a regulation allows you to do something that it would make it ethical.. ethical in the sense that you're not breaking any laws but thats about the extent of it.

troll... no, I'm not.

Sick in the head.. I must be.. because everytime I've been spearfishing it feels almost exactly like when I play ball of any kind.. truley a sport.. you try to the get the basketball in the hoop and you try to get the spear in the fish... it's all sport, sport..

I've been to tournaments where I was one of the two freediving and everyone else was using scuba.. we all got along fine..

troll... no, I'm not

Sick in the head.. I must be.. because everytime I've been spearfishing it feels almost exactly like when I play ball of any kind.. truley a sport.. you try to the get the basketball in the hoop and you try to get the spear in the fish... it's all sport, sport..

Well, the Spearfishermen/woman on SCUBA are not antagonistic. But if a solo freediver's posts seem to be?

I get more opportunities at certain species of fish while freediving because some critters are spooked by the noise when on SCUBA. I will not claim to be to be better at sportsmanship because of it.

Why not check out SpearBoard? I do not see any of your posts on SpearBoard. It is the place for us freediving spearhunters. Or is there a reason why a freediving Spearo only posts to SCUBA forums? Do not feel at home communicating with fellow freedivers? It looks like a troll.

Personally, I freedive and scuba shoot, the idea that freediving is more pure or more "sporting" seems based on the idea that less technology is better. Personally I think that is a slippery slope for freedivers to engage in unless they are using no mask or fins and taking fish with a sharpened stick. Freediving has its advantages over scuba in the hunt and the old argument that shooting on scuba is easy is patently false, or at least only true equally to both freediving and scuba and only for the same fish.

How many white sea bass get taken on scuba versus freediving? So is freediving less sporting as it gives you an advantage over scuba gear?

Thats why I hate the idea of hunting as "sport," killing is killing and the fish is just as dead no matter how many hands you had tied behind your back.

Back
Top Bottom