"Exciting" Coronados Islands Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same thing happened about a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure that there is a Mexican Dive permit required. Just look at all the stories about Liveaboards having "permitting" problems in Mexico. In Socorro the boat has to check in at the Mexican Naval Base so they can inspect permits. Not a BFD, our Navy boards ships every day, get over it.

First of all, who wrote that article? A 180-ft "battleship"? Is that one of them "pocket battleships" I've been hearing about?

Secondly, I'm not surprised that this happens. After all, it is Mexican water. While it may be one of those generally acceptable practices by both the US and Mexico to go diving at the Coronados, the Mexican navy has every right to enforce their laws in their own water.

Hopefully the Horizon and other dive charters down there could get some sort of permit or written permission from the Mexican government. Just imagine a Mexican dive charter coming over to dive at San Clemente island without some sort of official documentations.:wink:

If you read the comments posted about the article, one of those actually on board the vessel suggested it was no big deal and that the Mexican Navy did not act in a hostile manner, just slowly.

The issue did come up last year as well and I thought the Mexican government had clarified things, When a vessel goes into the waters of another country, it should expect an inspection (no comment on the Horizon itself). We would do the same as HT has suggested above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom