Exercise and Depression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This happens to be a topic that I am very passionate about. Aerobic exercise has been proven to be a powerful weapon against depression, more powerful than most appreciate.

Regular exercise, mostly in the form of mountain biking, road biking, mountaineering and rock climbing keep me from becoming a full blown alcoholic and smoking 2 packs a day. I do the occasional mountain bike race and keep track of my times and what climbing routs I've done and their grades to keep it competitive to keep myself motivated to do these things. I also make it a goal of climbing a 14er every year. Mt Shasta is one of my favorites. Last year I climbed Shasta 2X and Mt Williamson 14,375. Fourth of July weekend is a 4 day weekend for me this year so I might hit up some 14ers in the Southern Sierra. Goal setting is huge for me. It keeps me out of the deep end. Most of my rock climbing is done in a gym, however any other aspect of the gym is not appealing to me. I have to do something that requires an advanced skill set, kinda like diving.

I don't want to talk about it...........

Major difference between being depressed and going through a full-blown clinical depression. 25 years ago I suffered one of the latter and Diver0001 is right, the idea of just getting out of bed and doing anything was pretty much non-existent during the first few months. I wouldn't even dive (a good thing at that point). However, after a few months I decided I had to do something to get up and do something so I started walking a few miles a day. Gradually the depression subsided (although it took over 18 months to clear enough so I felt normal). I think the walking probably helped. However, it took more time before I felt comfortable (safe) diving again. Now I dive so much I doubt depression could gain a foothold!

My depression occurred at a time I had a high stress desk job and got next to no exercise. Ever since then I've avoided such job situations and have not suffered any relapses.

You've obviously never been depressed. Let me tell you, when you're seriously depressed, getting up to walk around the block is a *big* deal, a major project!

I had a period of serious depression in my life and there were days that the difference between life and death was literally that I couldn't get up the motivation to tie my shoes so I could go out and throw myself in front of a train. Walking around the block..... that was a dream.

The article is absolutely spot on about the need for exercise, not only when you're already feeling down, but to *avoid* getting to that place to begin with.... but depression is another beast entirely than "feeling crappy" and although I'm convinced that exercise is essential for healing from depression, it takes a lot more than "walking the dog" to start feeling good again.... in fact, it takes a lot before even "walking the dog" doesn't feel like more work than it's worth.

R..
sometimes its hard to even feed the dog if depression is bad.

+1 for Diver0001 & Dr Bill.

Depression is a whole other ball game than the blues or feeling depressed etc. Sometimes anything, even getting a glass of water from the fridge is simply beyond one's capabilities. At those times when you can make decisions, moving does seem to help on several levels, at least for me.

The Big D sucks in a myriad of wild ways. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Mine too.

R..
I fortunately quit my desk job before it got that far.. I realized where it was headed and quit. Didnt help that there was a complete lack of workplace enviroment there and that the location was a dud..

Pretty much the only upside was that I got my OW and AOW certs while living there :p

Hello,
Nice Post. Thank you for sharing knowledge and valuable information. I am trying to keep mood fresh but not get enough success. I think it is best post for me.
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom