Exotics Invade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny:
I think I recall hearing of one off Boynton Beach last year.
I am *pretty sure* I saw an emporer angel off Sunrise Blvd a few weeks ago. No camera.
I've seen a Juv Emperor Angel right in Marvel's backyard several years ago.

I'm positive of my sighting, as I've had MANY of the two species sold under the common name "Emperor/Emperator".

I'm sure either someone released thier aquaria pet into nature, or it is possible
and just as likely to have hitched a ride in the balllast hold of a large ship.

They pump water in or out as conditions require,
and could have transplanted them.

dvrgaryc:
I saw a total of 16 lionfish this last Sunday offshore Jacksonville. There were six hanging around the rudder of the "Powerful" and another 10 at the "Double Barges".

When one of my regular customers came in the store today, I ran this idea by him. These lionfish seem to keep to a small area and stay in groups. If you could come up with a way to collect them without getting stung and keep them alive for the trip back inshore, you could probably make a pretty good amount selling them to tropical fish stores.
Just make sure that you have a fishing license for taking ornamentals first.

The laws concerning taking live specimens from the waters are pretty stiff $$$.

As well,this fish can be handled/coddled with care and ease.

They deliver thier poison via splines in thier dorsal fin.
So, stepping on or grabbing around him would not be wise.

With the larger ones (6" or more), I would be more
worried about a bite, non-poison but hurts like h_ll!

Brewone0to:
Just make sure that you have a fishing license for taking ornamentals first.

The laws concerning taking live specimens from the waters are pretty stiff $$$.

As well,this fish can be handled/coddled with care and ease.

They deliver thier poison via splines in thier dorsal fin.
So, stepping on or grabbing around him would not be wise.

With the larger ones (6" or more), I would be more
worried about a bite, non-poison but hurts like h_ll!

I know that there are rules in place for taking ornamental reef fish, but since these are an invasive species, do the same rules apply?

I probably wouldn't try to take the larger specimens. I haven't found a slurp gun large enough to let their fins pass through without damaging them.

RickI:
Lionfish_7_s.jpg

We were diving on a shallow wreck north of Bimini in the Bahamas yesterday and guess what showed up? A venomous fish that I thought for several decades only occurred in the Pacific.

Do you remember where you were? I was on a trip to study them in August abord Blackbeard's. We collected lionfish at the wreck of the Miss Jenny and the Hespersus. Local fishermen say they are also on the Sapona but we didn't find any.

A researcher in NC is studying them to try to determine how and when they breed, what they eat, and how the Atlantic and Caribbean populations became established. These suckers seem to breed year round in the warm waters of the Caribbean and tropical Western Atlantic. They are very successful predators. The other fish don't recognize them as predators so they don't avoid them. They could potentially have a devastating effect on native fish species.

I see hundreds if not more every year from the Carolinas south to Daytona.I don't know what fish they displace but assume they displace something.Last I heard NMFS said to kill them.
They hurt much more than a bee or scorpion and it lasts several hours even when dipping the affected part in scalding water.There have also been reports of recurring problems long after the initial sting.

I was on Blackbeards in May this year, and we saw lionfish on the Berry and Andros Islands dive sites.

Do you remember where you were? I was on a trip to study them in August abord Blackbeard's. We collected lionfish at the wreck of the Miss Jenny and the Hespersus. Local fishermen say they are also on the Sapona but we didn't find any.

A researcher in NC is studying them to try to determine how and when they breed, what they eat, and how the Atlantic and Caribbean populations became established. These suckers seem to breed year round in the warm waters of the Caribbean and tropical Western Atlantic. They are very successful predators. The other fish don't recognize them as predators so they don't avoid them. They could potentially have a devastating effect on native fish species.

Yes, I sent a report into the lady doing the research for the government based in the Carolinas. Her website seems to be down now. Would you know if the funding ended causing the plug to be pulled on the effort?

I understand they have seen rafts of them (10 individuals) in channel structures off Fresh Creek in Andros.

Apparently, they may not have made it down to the Caymans yet. Hope they don't either.

Have any been seen in the Antilles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom