Expedition Fleet - Tubbataha - MV Stella Maris

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I know this is an older forum but if you want any info on Expedition Fleet let me know. I work for them and you will probably feel the opinion is biased but I will tell you how it is to the best of my ability. I understand that people want good value for their hard earned cash We are working hard here to improve service levels to guests so if we can provide any info through forums we will be more than happy to do so.

hey robin,

I was on with you that trip as the cruise manager... nice to hear that you still remember it after all this time... :)

Just off Stella Maris trip to Tubbataha. The diving was excellent and all dive ops and ship personnel very friendly and very helpful, no problem there. The ship, however, is a different story. It is very unstable and rolls terribly in light seas and unbearably in moderate seas. There is something wrong with the motor (broken engine mounts?) and/or the prop shaft is bent or out of balance and/or the prop is out of balance all manifest by a sickening violent vibration whenever the engine is running and increased when underway. It was so bad I was afraid my notebook computer hard drive might crash even when perched atop a pillow atop the bed mattress! There is foul smell in the cabin and throughout the ship, made worse by their mixing multiple different deodorizers in an effort to cover it up. There are no padded sitting places anywhere onboard, only cheap wood folding chairs with no cushions. There is no place to sit at a table and at the same time plug in a computer or any device. There are electrical outlets in the cabin marked 220v and 110v but only the 220v works (bring an adapter as there are no 3 prong outlets). The noise from the generator is so loud that it is difficult to hear someone sitting next to you speak, let alone across the table, and forget about conversation while underway. Foul water was frequently coming up the floor drains in the bathroom requiring crew to use dryvac to suck it up daily. Sink and shower drains clogged, our floor got washed every time we showered as water overflowed the shower stall into the room. The ice machine quit working, not good for such a hot climate, but the beer was cheap at US$1 per can. The hot tub is not hot. No pillow cases (don't cut your face on the exposed zipper) and stuffing coming out of the mattress (sheet doesn't fit the bed and by morning is off) and no clean towels in the bath (we used dive deck towels that are only dried, not washed - yuck). There were other problems with the physical ship and not much the crew could do about it, so I do not blame them as they tried very hard and I give them an "excellent" rating.

Was I expecting too much for the premium price paid? I have a good basis of comparison - this was my 9th dive liveaboard trip in just the last 2 years. The diving was great but be prepared for a poor shipboard experience.

Thanks for the update. I was considering a return trip next year on the Stella Maris but now will make enquiries about other vessels.

Can I ask which cabins you were in. An internal one or one of the ones accessible from deck?

Thanks for the update. Can I ask which cabins you were in. An internal one or one of the ones accessible from deck?
I was on "A" level, top most. Cabin door leads outside.
Here are videos I shot during the trip:
Dive Philippines: Fish You Might See! Whale Shark, Tiger Shark, Whitetip Shark, Grey Shark. - YouTube (5 min)
Divers Below! Rough cuts from a Philippines Dive Trip - YouTube (3 min)
Feeding Flamboyant Cuttlefish (pair) - YouTube (90 sec)

Thanks for the information and the videos. I also stayed in an A cabin when I was there, and had no problems. This was three or four years ago though. Glad I got the update, I wonder what Jo_Charman (above) has to say about this. Will PM her and get her to respond. I have also emailed the expedition fleet, and posted on their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Expedition-Fleet/119965274732203

Didn't realize that the Expedition Fleet is this bad.

The Atlantis Azores and Philippine Siren look like good alternatives.

Anyone know of other outfits that go to Tubbataha?

HI Down2biz diver, would be very interested to hear more about the actually boat issues that you witnessed-ie engine problems/stability in water etc. Also had any one else been on this boat in 2012 and witnessed the same issues? Thanks

Expedition Fleet announced today they "are shutting down the business and we will no longer do liveaboard operations." Too bad, the boat was awful but the crew and staff were good!

Back
Top Bottom