Exploring some nearby lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan,

You can cook the bass if you catch it and have dinner on the surface interval... Sounds like I'm liking lake diving already.... :)

I've never dove in a lake that I enjoyed as much as the ocean. But it is nice for a quick splash when you don't want to drive 3 hours.

This summer we should hit sugarpine again, this time we scooter!
Do you have a spare for a friend? :D:D:D

Since you are on topic about Lakes, can anyone state the precautions of diving these locals?

1. Environmental hazards; cold, ice?
2. Dangerous snakes or raccoons?
3. Mean angry Park Rangers?
4. Theft; anti diver vandalism?
5. Legends; dead people grabing my fin while I reach the bottom of the lake?

You need to be deeply paranoid about all these. And, if you see either a still or marijuana field or hear banjo music, run for your car! :shocked2:

I'd love to try the local lakes, the new drysuit&undies need to be broken in!

I have two dives in Blue Lakes right off of highway 20 between Ukiah and Clear Lake and it was a neat experience.
I saw schools of Bluegill and a Smallmouth Bass that was probably about four pounds.
I really thought that I would see more of the planted Trout than I did but most of the fish I saw were ones that were indiginous to the lake.
Both of my dives were at the east end of the lake by the lodge and the biggest surprise to me was that the bottom was carpeted by the detritus of years of human recreation.

Now if only the weather would cooperate. Looks like the latest rainfall down here has added more snow up there.

I'm 'up there' at the moment, if by up there you mean near Lake Tahoe. I'm staying at about 7,600 feet SE of the lake, and we got snow mixed with rain and sleet most of yesterday, turning to just snow yesterday afternoon. It snowed up until about 11:30 last night, then stopped for several hours. It was snowing again when I woke up this morning about 7 and is still doing so, although it's quite bright out.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom