Exposure suit dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoochykoochy

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently in a dilemma about what suit to buy next. I live in the UK and will be doing most of my dives in or around the UK. I have decided to spend some cash on a suit rather than renting for cold water dives but cannot decide on 7mm semi dry or dry.
The main stumbling block is money, as I've been offered a v good fitting semi dry that has only had 3 "wears" for a price thats half of a drysuit.
Will this be warm enough is my question? I did all my certification dives in a 6.5 semidry and the water was 7/8 deg, but after about 40miins I started to get a bit cold. I could buy some other kit with the money I saved, but at the same time I don't want to buy something that will be useless and never worn again.
Help!!

If you have the cash ... go dry. You'll never look back!

You feel MUCH warmer then semi-dry, especially with undergarment.

Ray

I would say go with a drysuit. It is more money, yes, but it is so much more comfortable. I dive in similar temperatures in US northeast. Here there are two options -- dry or 7mm. (semi-dry has not caught up, so I still don't understand that concept. To me you are either dry or you are wet.)
Dry is so much more pleasant.
In 7-8 degrees I only dive with dry. Besides, in dry you can dive all year round, while in wet you got about 7 months.

And that nice feeling when you add warm puffs of air to your suit :) a joy! (Especially when you hit thermoclime)
To me buoyancy control in a drysuit seems even easier.

My 2p worth - I've got a Scubapro Scotia 6.5mm semi dry which is very good - the only thing wet about it is the amount of perspiration I generate. The wrist, ankle and neck seals are so good they don't let water in. Having said that I've no intention of diving when it's very cold - so dry will be thr route to go if you'll be diving all weathers. Also the price differential between a top rate semi dry and a dry suit is not all that much. The Scotia costs the thick end of £300.

Hope this helps

Regards

You can't beat a dry suit for the UK, IMHO. Especially if you intend to dive outside the brief summer months.
What summer!! It's raining here in East Kent (again).

Cheers for all the replies...
I don't intend to dive when its really cold so I may take a look at that Scubapro suit Welshman..thanks

Go dry, go dry!

I splashed out on a dry suit and NEVER looked back. I LOVE dry suit diving. Not only can you adjust the undergarments to suit the conditions, but I also find I find buoyancy adjustments much easier in a dry suit.

Mind you, when they flood - WOW!

I also meant to say, don't be afraid of diving in the colder seasons, I start diving around Feb/March - its quieter and there is still plenty to see. I love looking at the changes the ocean goes through during the year.

Love
Booga

below 10 degrees its a dry suit
above 10 ill be in my semi with a "skin"
look out for them in you lds there only 1.5 mil thick but wow what a diffrence there titanium linned and designed to reflect your core heat back in to the body which inturn keeps the rest of your body warmer and better still there only about £20

and if it wasent for the suface/wind chill factor id be in my semi all year long as i prefer diving in them a lot less drag

I asked a similar question after you and the replies were mixed. Some people told me to go dry, but there were a few that said that a really good fitting semidry was their preference. I guess it comes down to how much you feel the cold, how much cash you want to spend, and the duration and water temperature when you dive. To see the replies look at the "semi dry suit for use in the UK" thread 2 or 3 above this one.
I hope this helps - if not sorry
andeegee

Must be getting CAD syndrome! I'm still wearing my dry suit and the water temp is in the 20's and air temp the 30's!!

How many jumpers should I pack for next week - back to the UK?! It was 29 here this morning at 7:30.....

Most important bit of British dive kit - the wooly hat of course!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom