Exposure suit - FL Keys in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YakanNiDaiba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm planning to spend a few weeks down in the Florida Keys in December for a PADI Divemaster course. I was down in the Keys for three months this past summer and diving in nothing more than a simple lycra skin and a swimsuit and I was pretty comfortable. Having never been down to the Keys in December I was wondering what the best choice of exposure suit would be? :confused:

I've been diving in a couple of the caverns in north Florida in the summer and the water was around 65-70f. I was in a 5mm and a bit on the warm side of comfortable once I was in the water. I've also been in the local lake at home where the water was ~70f at 30ft and I was literally sweating in a 5mm wetsuit. I'm a bit on the big side (5'5 and 247lbs) and tend to run warm when most people are cool.

Anyone have any advice about what type of suit and what thickness would be appropriate? Any brand advice would be good as well!

Thanks in advance!! ^_^

Congrats on goin' pro.
We in the Keys are "Warm Water Divers"...yet the water does get chilly in the winter...
Last year was the coldest on record..the coldest since records have been kept.
The big chill came the end of Dec..and stayed
Started the month in a shorty...then added a beanie..by mid month traded up to a full suit (3/2)..
by the end of the month traded in the beanie for a hood and added thermal gloves..

......by mid January was up to a 7m....wishin I still had my drysuit.

Best to have than have not....as you tend to run warm....the 5m may be too much thermal for you...a full 3/2 would be good....if that's too warm....you could always let the zipper down some..

If you're going to spend a lot of time in the water day after day, I'd go with a tropical dry suit.

I was also in the Keys just a short while ago - it sure was nice being comfortable in just a dive skin :) But when I was there last December, I was just barely comfortable in a 3mm full suit with a 1mm hooded vest, booties, and gloves. I tend to run cold though. My buddy is usually warm, and was fine in just the 3mm fullsuit, booties, and gloves. I think a 5mm full suit would have been really comfortable for me (alas, I don't have one).

If you run warm then a full 3 mm suit with two pieces and a separate hood should work and also a dive skin for sun protection. If the weather and water is relatively warm for december, you could probably do fine in a full dive skin with a 3 mm jacket. You then have the option of adding pants and the hood will allow you to function in a pretty broad range of temperatures.

I grew up in Florida and December in the Keys is usually warm but every once in a while you get a cold spell. One December I went down there and it was insanely cold, like 35 degrees and the wind was blowing. My point is that in Florida the thing that gets you is the wind while on the boat all day. If you run warm, then like stated above, a 3 mil full and hood should do ya fine. If it is chilly, dry off between dives and put a hoodie on. Have fun!!! :)

I was in Key Largo in early January, and was very comfy in my 3mm (no hood or gloves)

The locals were freezing in their 5's with hoods and gloves. Actually the one DM from the dive op I used was wearing a 3mm full suit with a 3mm shorty over top and was cold!

It all depends on how susceptible to cold you are :idk:

Back
Top Bottom