Extend your bottom time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Relax, go slowly, streamline your gear, stay as near to perfectly horizontal as you can, work on your weighting to get yourself as close to perfectly weighted as possible and spread your weight about to insure proper horizontal trim, breathe deeply and slowly, let the currents and eddies do the work for you and ENJOY !!!

the K

Lots of good advice in this thread, but ultimately it is really just something that comes with experience.

Lots of good advice in this thread, but ultimately it is really just something that comes with experience.

Yep . . . .

the K

Here's an excerpt from a gas management article I wrote ... there may be some tidbits in there you'll find useful ...

Some tips for using your air more efficiently

Air consumption is often related to other aspects of your diving, such as buoyancy control, weighting, trim, your breathing pattern, and swimming speed. As overall skills improve, so will your air consumption ... often dramatically.

Here are some tips that can help you improve your air consumption, and in general get more enjoyment out of your diving experience.

Breathing

For most of us, scuba diving is the first time in our lives that we have ever actually had to think about breathing. And there is a technique for proper breathing on scuba gear. In general, you want to take long, slow, deep breaths. A complete inhale and exhale should take anywhere from 5 to 8 seconds ... sometimes longer for more practiced divers. Rapid breathing affects your buoyancy. Shallow breathing tends to build up carbon-dioxide in our body, which causes us to feel oxygen starved and breathe harder and faster. Practice long, slow, deep breathing on land ... and then try it in the water. You will often notice an immediate improvement in your buoyancy control, and over time will notice that as your buoyancy control improves, so does your gas consumption.

Weighting

Improper weighting affects your gas consumption considerably. Too much weight causes you to carry excessive gas in your BCD or wing to maintain neutral buoyancy, and even small changes in depth will cause large buoyancy shifts due to the expansion or compression of that gas. You should perform weight checks any time you get a new piece of gear, and occasionally as your diving skills improve, because even something as simple as becoming more relaxed underwater will often allow you to lose weights you thought you needed.

Conversely, underweighted divers will struggle to stay down ... especially toward the end of the dive as your cylinder loses gas and becomes more buoyant. All that extra work causes you to breathe harder and consume your gas supply at a faster rate.

Trim

Humans are psychologically oriented in a vertical position. After all, it's what we've done since we learned how to walk. When learning scuba we must teach ourselves to move about in a horizontal position. Proper trim is very important to good gas consumption. Water is 800 times heavier than air, and we cannot efficiently move through water in the same way we move through air. Maintaining a horizontal position means that as we move through the water, we have to push less water out of our way than we would in a vertical position. It also radically increases the efficiency of our fins to move us in the direction we want to go. Both of those are huge factors in terms of our air consumption, because it reduces the amount of work we need to do to move around.

Swimming speed

Many divers ... new divers in particular ... tend to swim rather quickly. While that will get you from point to point faster, it will also increase your air consumption dramatically. In fact, the faster you go the more air you will consume getting from one place to another. Slow down ... it's not a race! There are lots of tiny creatures (and even some large ones that are good at camouflage) that you will likely not see if you are swimming quickly. Going slow, and keeping your fin kicks relatively small, will not only improve your air consumption dramatically, it will help you get more enjoyment out of your dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All of this is great advice and I'm working on all of it (even joined a fitness center), but nobody mentioned Nitrox/SafeAir. Yes it limits depths but can extend bottom time considerably. Other advantages got along with it to. I took the class before my cert dives and got the Nitrox cert at the same time.

BillAmp

All of this is great advice and I'm working on all of it (even joined a fitness center), but nobody mentioned Nitrox/SafeAir. Yes it limits depths but can extend bottom time considerably. Other advantages got along with it to. I took the class before my cert dives and got the Nitrox cert at the same time.

BillAmp
Nitrox can be used to extend your safe no-decompression limits ... allowing you more time at certain depths before decompression becomes an issue.

It does not, however, alter your consumption rate. On any given dive, you will use the same amount of nitrox that you would use if you were breathing air ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Here's an excerpt from a gas management article I wrote ... there may be some tidbits in there you'll find useful ...

Some tips for using your air more efficiently

Air consumption is often related to other aspects of your diving, such as buoyancy control, weighting, trim, your breathing pattern, and swimming speed. As overall skills improve, so will your air consumption ... often dramatically.

Here are some tips that can help you improve your air consumption, and in general get more enjoyment out of your diving experience.

Breathing

For most of us, scuba diving is the first time in our lives that we have ever actually had to think about breathing. And there is a technique for proper breathing on scuba gear. In general, you want to take long, slow, deep breaths. A complete inhale and exhale should take anywhere from 5 to 8 seconds ... sometimes longer for more practiced divers. Rapid breathing affects your buoyancy. Shallow breathing tends to build up carbon-dioxide in our body, which causes us to feel oxygen starved and breathe harder and faster. Practice long, slow, deep breathing on land ... and then try it in the water. You will often notice an immediate improvement in your buoyancy control, and over time will notice that as your buoyancy control improves, so does your gas consumption.

Weighting

Improper weighting affects your gas consumption considerably. Too much weight causes you to carry excessive gas in your BCD or wing to maintain neutral buoyancy, and even small changes in depth will cause large buoyancy shifts due to the expansion or compression of that gas. You should perform weight checks any time you get a new piece of gear, and occasionally as your diving skills improve, because even something as simple as becoming more relaxed underwater will often allow you to lose weights you thought you needed.

Conversely, underweighted divers will struggle to stay down ... especially toward the end of the dive as your cylinder loses gas and becomes more buoyant. All that extra work causes you to breathe harder and consume your gas supply at a faster rate.

Trim

Humans are psychologically oriented in a vertical position. After all, it's what we've done since we learned how to walk. When learning scuba we must teach ourselves to move about in a horizontal position. Proper trim is very important to good gas consumption. Water is 800 times heavier than air, and we cannot efficiently move through water in the same way we move through air. Maintaining a horizontal position means that as we move through the water, we have to push less water out of our way than we would in a vertical position. It also radically increases the efficiency of our fins to move us in the direction we want to go. Both of those are huge factors in terms of our air consumption, because it reduces the amount of work we need to do to move around.

Swimming speed

Many divers ... new divers in particular ... tend to swim rather quickly. While that will get you from point to point faster, it will also increase your air consumption dramatically. In fact, the faster you go the more air you will consume getting from one place to another. Slow down ... it's not a race! There are lots of tiny creatures (and even some large ones that are good at camouflage) that you will likely not see if you are swimming quickly. Going slow, and keeping your fin kicks relatively small, will not only improve your air consumption dramatically, it will help you get more enjoyment out of your dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nitrox can be used to extend your safe no-decompression limits ... allowing you more time at certain depths before decompression becomes an issue.

It does not, however, alter your consumption rate. On any given dive, you will use the same amount of nitrox that you would use if you were breathing air ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob has given you some great information here. I recommend you go to his site and read his entire article on Gas Management; it's an excellent read. Do this before you start diving on your own as his article covers information on how to properly manage your air supply so you don't have an OOA emergency.

That being said, you can use this calculator SAC Calculator to keep track of your SAC. Honestly, even if you don't do anything suggested in this thread, I'm willing to wager that your SAC say from dive 1 to dive 20, from dive 20 to dive 40, etc. will go down all on its own.

I think you would be best served by getting comfortable diving, getting used to your equipment, getting good at buoyancy and just getting to the point where you don't have to think or worry about too much while diving....then look back at this thread and try out a lot of the great advice that has been suggested. A SAC rate of 0.60 CF/min can be considered good so that should be your goal. You don't necessarily have to dive hundreds of times to get a good SAC either. Mine has been less than 0.6 for quite some time and I have less than a hundred dives. Just get out there and dive then slowly incorporate this thread's info (and especially Bob's article) into the mix. Good luck!

Asides from more experience and better bouyancy control, the best thing that I did for my SAC rate was to practice long, slow breathing.

Next time you're stuck in traffic, concentrate on using your diaphram to slowly and deeply inhale, pause a beat (without closing your airway) and then slowly exhale. See how long you can take to take a full breath and exhale without that feeling of air hunger.

With practice, you'll feel relaxed and comfortable and you'll be getting plenty of oxygen from your breaths and expelling enough carbon dioxide.

I've almost doubled my bottom time simply by manually inflating my BC, inflate it, buoyancy right, forget it! When using my power inflator I just kept tinkering with the buoyancy the whole time, made me miss a turtle on my first salt water dive, gauge showing 50 bar, son trying to show me something under a rock & dad insisting that the surface is calling! We've subsequently figured out the sign for turtle!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom