Extra Skills Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But it does now and again... :wink:
Happened to me twice over nearly 15 yrs of deploying it. Practice does not make perfect, well at least to me!!!!!!
First time was the very first time that I had to use it on my Adv Nitox course. I hit the surface at no time at all from 15m. Dumped the gear and went down to complete the deco. I then used a whole afternoon firing the smb from the deepest part of the pool.
Finger spool is definitely better than reel. The handle of the reel is a line trap.

Deploying smb at depth is NOT as easy as you might think. Have to be very careful at all time.

I use my big thumb as the spindle for the spool. As I am diving in tropical warm water so glove was never an consideration.

As painful as it is to say it, SMB/DSMB is now available as a Distinctive Specialty. I for one would certainly not comtemplate trying to sell that as a course.

I already cover it in Drift, Deep & Boat

I'm curious to know if any instructors teach this as part of their training, or how many divers have been taught this skill in conjunction with either of these specialties?

It was not part of my AOW course but I requested it specifically and the instructor was happy to oblige. I think it should be tought as part of OW and wouldn't dive in the ocean without SMB and Spool.

It was not part of my AOW course but I requested it specifically and the instructor was happy to oblige. ...//...

Yes! You asked! (Great instructor, BTW)

...//... I think it should be tought as part of OW ...//...

OK, maybe AOW. But the fundamental point here is that you as the diver better be in a mindset of wanting to DRIVE, not ride. If you don't see what you want, ask. Nice job.

When I took my AOW training (via PADI), 2 of my 5 specialties were boat diver & drift diver. However, in the PADI curriculum for both of these specialties there apparently is not instruction included in the proper deployment of a SMB, particularly at depth & using a spool.

As you're probably aware, these weren't "specialties", they were merely 'adventure dives' - representing the first dive from the associated specialty course (when 5 are combined - forming the AOW qualification).

When enrolling/considering a course of training, it does pay dividends to do a little research in advance, so that you can confirm the syllabus. It's nice to know exactly what training you will be getting (training being more important than 'qualification', surely?). Also, it means you can ensure you are given the correct training...and nothing is missed. You will also be able to better appreciate the instructor who goes beyond the minimums and gives you more! :)

Since this is a valuable skill to know when diving in the ocean (from a boat or drift diving), I'm curious to know if any instructors teach this as part of their training, or how many divers have been taught this skill in conjunction with either of these specialties?

There's no training standards limitations on instructors teaching DSMB within the scope of any scuba course - to a degree, it is even encouraged that instructors model their training to meet the demands of the local diving environment.

In Europe/UK, the use of DSMB is so widespread (and often critically necessary) that PADI even created a specialty course for just that ("DSMB Diver").

I used to teach DSMB at entry-level when I was in the UK. I don't now, because it isn't a 'critical' skill given local diving practices and conditions here... and it can often prove quite task loading for a student if squeezed into the OW course. Given 'free time' on OW training, there's other stuff that I'd rather refine to a higher standard, rather than adding a plethora of extra skills. I feel that only dilutes the training. I will include DSMB on Deep courses, or at any other time if I ascertain that the student will have immediate need of the skill. I don't teach Drift courses here... as Subic Bay has no currents.

As such, I'm going to be getting some formal hands-on instruction in this skill very soon with an instructor,

Even if a formal course isn't available - many instructors can still provide training to fit your specific needs... such as workshops or mentoring sessions. Look for a tech-qualified instructor and see what their daily rate is. 2 dives/1 day of private tuition will certainly get you up to speed on DSMB deployment.

DSMB deployment is a performance requirement on tech courses - thus, a tech instructor can be assumed to be expert at the skill. The same is not true for recreational instructors, although - of course - some are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom