Extremely new, even to the idea of Diving....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There may also come a time when you will need to swim without your gear. Someone mentioned using a suit for extra buoyancy and this works except during the swim tests. If the water is cold enough to require one then by PADI standards anyway you need to wear a weightbelt with enough weight to offset the suit buoyancy. Most people as has already been stated are pretty close to neutral at the surface. Technique is where the other stuff comes in. I recently started going back to the gym in order to get my fitness level back up. Before I changed jobs I kinda let my self go a little due to swinging shifts, manadatory OT and not being able to eat regularly. Last pool session for YMCA DM was pretty long and grueling. However at the end of it I tried a few laps for sheets and giggles. 4 laps was nothing, I've got to do 16 without any aids in a month and am not the least bit concerned. A month ago before getting back to the gym 4 laps had me breathing hard. That was a wakeup.

I am unfortunately one of the ones not stated above from what I read....I am negative even with a full breath of air. I consider myself to be in excellent condition witha considerably low Body Mass Index....I am not quite the body builder type, but I just dont have a lot of body fat, and work to keep it that way....I found it to be more of a problem to tread water, than to swim. The good news of this is that I dont need as much weight as others. The negative, if something happens to my BC or Drysuit, then I will be working much harder than those who do not. I also cary a X-large Surface marker Bouy to use if something like that should occur.

OK, so here's an update, I have not found any swimming lessons in my area up to this date. The only thing I need to learn is to tread water. Can anybody give me a few pointers and I'll try it out in my pool at school? Thanks!

Have you tried floating? When I did my test I just took a full breath and leaned back a little bit...then I just breathed shallowly to keep my lungs most full. I only needed to tread water a few times, and that was more out of boredom from floating than a need to tread water.

The best way is to have someone there teaching you to tread water...but if you really can't find anyone here are some websites that might help.

Learning to Tread Water - Associated Content

When it's time to go fast... go swim!

Relax and Swim! The Deep End

I was going to post that exact same thing last night, DivingPrincess. I just did my swim test, and the "tread" was ridiculously easy, because I simply floated on my back, keeping it arched with my lungs full. A few small paddles with my feet and hands were all I needed to float, and when I felt like it, I'd tread for a couple of minutes. When I do tread, I sort or ride an underwater bicycle, and do those "air wave" hand motions in the water, although in a horizontal direction. It's not that tiring, really, but the float is pretty relaxing.

Well I do not know how much I can add here. But here are some things I learned that helped me. First for the swim, mine was a 200 yard swim, any stroke, not timed. I just varied my strokes, took my time and completed it. I'm not the most fit person you will meet, my day consists of sitting in front of a computer. My suggestion would be to find a pool and just swim everyday, you do not have to swim a long distance just use the swim muscles and try to continue to swim for at least 30 minutes, this will help you relax more while swimming. As far a the float is concerned, try to practice breathing shallow with most of your lungs full. In other words breath the upper 1/4 of your lung capacity leaving your lungs 3/4 full, this will help you to float, also lay your head back in the water, just keep your face out so you can breath and relax. The biggest thing you have to do is RELAX and spending time in the water will get you more comfortable so you can relax.

One last thing, through PADI (not sure about others) you have a choice on the swim, you can do a 200 yard swim or a 300 yard snorkel. I have been told the 300 yard snorkel is harder to do, but it is an option.

It's really not as hard as it sounds, I truly believe that if I can do it just about anyone can.

Good luck.

One last thing, through PADI (not sure about others) you have a choice on the swim, you can do a 200 yard swim or a 300 yard snorkel. I have been told the 300 yard snorkel is harder to do, but it is an option.

Yes, it is an option with PADI, SSI and maybe some others, but it's a very bad idea. To be a safe diver, you have to be able to swim. Snorkeling 300 yds is much easier than swimming 200. Some agencies (YMCA, maybe others) require a 300 yd swim with no option to substitute snorkeling any distance.

I was so worried about my test, because I NEVER swim laps, and spend little time in the pool, but I just did the whole distance on my back. It was super easy and relaxing. As a matter of fact, I was faster than most of the people in my class, taking it completely easy just doing a simple backstroke. At some point, I will learn proper breathing technique for crawl, but don't sweat the test. You could do back and side stroke. Just remember not to lift your head out of the water too much. After swimming a bit with the snorkel, I must say, the 300M distance would be MUCH harder to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom