F2 Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granted I've never used a dry suit, but I don't understand what difference that would make concerning one's choice of fins. Would someone (maybe smorneau) please explain it to me?

In my case the boots on my drysuit when worn with enough socks for 38 degee water requires a very large foot pocket(XXL). When I travel to warm water for vacation I am often only wearing 3mm boots and usually can get in a pair of standard large fins. Also with a drysuit I need heavy (negative) fins to help keep my feet down when there is air in my drysuit boots. Otherwise I would need ankle weights. Diving in a wetsuit my fins do not need to be negative.

Granted I've never used a dry suit, but I don't understand what difference that would make concerning one's choice of fins. Would someone (maybe smorneau) please explain it to me?

As smorneau has already posted and for me my feet are a little too small for the F1s with a wet boot dry suit boots are larger.

Last edited:
I've never gone diving in cold water, and I have no desire to use a dry suit in warm water. I've seen people diving with dry suits in Eilat, though I don't understand the attraction. If the water's warm (even in winter no colder than 70 deg F), why wouldn't you want to feel the water? Thanks for the explanation.

I've never gone diving in cold water, and I have no desire to use a dry suit in warm water. I've seen people diving with dry suits in Eilat, though I don't understand the attraction. If the water's warm (even in winter no colder than 70 deg F), why wouldn't you want to feel the water? Thanks for the explanation.

My usual local diving is in at best temperate and gets pretty chilly even at the height of summer (max22DegC) , I feel the cold, a drysuit will not only make those dives more comfortable but more importantly it will extend my dive season to much of the year. Tropical waters a 5mm for me is golden. Tried a 3mm in Indonesia and was cold(ish).

Went diving Saturday in Eilat. (Whale shark was spotted two days earlier at the same beach - I have no luck). My dive computer informed me that the water temp was 25.6 deg C. I wore a 3 mm shorty + 2 mm vest - my regular summer attire. It's perfect for me. But don't you know that on the other side of the dive club (the technical side), I saw people suiting up in dry suits. The air temp mind you was about 40 deg C. I suppose that if they were about to don a rebreather and planned to stay down for two hours, maybe it makes sense.

This is a strange thread when the topic is F2 fins.

Well, back to the actual fin questions :wink:

Nick, is the fit/size/shape of the F2 foot pocket the same as on the F1 fins?

Thanks,

Henrik

I don't know if you've been keeping up with this string of posts, but I listened to your wise advice about the F1's (and also listened to that small voice in my head that said, "Really now, you already know that, you just forgot!"), and I'm keeping the fins. I still feel a slight burn, but it's a pleasant burn - not cramps. I may get a pair of F2's also, more for snorkeling or giving my legs a break on a second or third dive, or for going into our local sunken ship.
Once again, thanks for your sound and wise advice.

Elad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom