Fantasy Island Feb 20-27 - FREE NITROX CLASS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah ok, that 6:25 flight is showing 6 empty of 38 (based on seat assignments) while the 5:30 is showing 19 open. I think an airport agent would be happy to get you gone sooner and free up a seat on the small, later plane in case needed. The times are so close together tho, that works against you as a flight several hours later would be more open to surprise needs. The good news is that if you don't get to go earlier, you only have an hour to kill.

Both departures are legal connections to the earlier flight to Roatan so you could still standby in ATL for the earlier, but you want your bags on your plane. Hope the airport agent changes you without hassle, but then whether you get there at 12:14 or 1:35 is not that big of a difference really. Looks like both ATL-RTB flights have snacks for sell in coach so you should get a freebie in FC, altho I always carry trail mix just in case, maybe even a subway. l

Yeah, if I weren't the "trip leader" I probably wouldnt care much, but there is some expectation that I get there reasonably close with the rest of the group. NBD either way since many of the folks have been there before. (Some of our group are getting there much earlier - one on the TACA flight gets in around 8:30)...
I guess the other concern is that I hate to be on the last DL flight of the day and have my luggage not arrive (with no chance for the ATL folks to remedy that on a subsequent flight).
I have baggage delay insurance, but that still doesnt get me my nice comfy BCD and split fins..

I sponsored a trip to Utila once and chose the later flight to RTB so I would still be in the US to take calls and try to help trouble shoot as late as possible or so was my reasoning. As it happened, I did get a call while in IAH from the two flying American to SAP, flight canceled in Miami I think it was but there were no backup flights on any cooperating airline leaving soon so they just arrived SAP later, spent the night, came in from LCE ferry the next day. Everyone else flew into RTB like I suggested, got there before or with me, and we flew to Utila together on a larger than usual plane they put on to accommodate us. Hehe, the same plane came back for us a week later, but had to take us across in two trips as the runway was long enough for a loaded plane to land, but for take off needed to break us up. Anyway, I saw my bags and almost all of my group board in RTB going and simply hoped the other two would show up the next day - and they did.

I know how you feel about wanting your bags on the same plane, but if something goes wrong there - they can get them routed. I did look at a variet of flights and if they did not make your flight out (which is a risk with regional jets, especially if there is weather and they cut their max load), it may well be the next day before your bags arrive - but they'd get there.

Hehe, I have not looked at my backup possibilities. I just expect them to get my bags there okay, and if they don't - then trouble shoot from there, also remembering to ask them how much they will reimburse me per day for puchased and rented needs while I wait, getting a commitment on that. I have a spare pair of Tusa split fins you can borrow if needed, but you really want your own stuff I know!

In the event that bags don't make it on DL, will they send them on another airline? I think DL only flies into RTB on Saturdays, so I figured if no bags on Saturday then I'm screwed...

In the event that bags don't make it on DL, will they send them on another airline? I think DL only flies into RTB on Saturdays, so I figured if no bags on Saturday then I'm screwed...
Yep, the regular airlines generally cooperate on bags, sometimes on passengers. If you were flying a charter, or maybe Southwest to somewhere they go - no, but Delta would ask Contientnal or TACA to bring them I think. I see that Delta does have CAK 10:36a ATL 12:29p, so they would probly send them that far on that one, or in a weather situation, 2:12p to ATL 4:10p, then see who can help them from there. Every day you have to wait, they have to agree to reimburse you. I once bought a lot of free clothes on a Windjammer cruise when it took days for my bag to catch up to me.

I'm cool. Even if my bags failed to get out at 5 or 7:50, they can come LBB 10:53a to RTB 3:37p

I made a mistake arriving at 1:07 pm. in RTB. I checked the weather and it looks like rain sat. but so far sun. through wed. is sunny with temps. in mid 80's . The 20 th. is the officially the last week of the rainy season before the rates go up.

I made a mistake arriving at 1:07 pm. in RTB. I checked the weather and it looks like rain sat. but so far sun. through wed. is sunny with temps. in mid 80's . The 20 th. is the officially the last week of the rainy season before the rates go up.
Hey Joe! Yeah, we're on the same flight. Are you the Detroit flight that arrives IAH/Houston at 8am? I get there until 9:17 so say Hi in the boarding area, OK? BTW, we do get some lunch on the plane altho it never hurts to bring your favorite snack. If your group has the other 8 seats in First then we'll liven up the cabin (my upgrade cleared today :cool:) or if not then we'll meet back up in RTB to clear I&C, find bags, and spray mosquito repellent before leaving the building for the van. Unless I opt for the next flight, then I'll see y'all at the Island.

I need to try on walking shorts and boat shorts to see which ones still fit. :shocked2: The weather does look nice so I am only bringing two pair of long pants: the pair I arrive in and the pair I leave in. Haven't seen my roomie here lately. I guess I can Facebook him a missive.

Ken, I think my original reasoning after looking at my departure choices when I got my tickets was...
Go with the 7:50 out of Lubbock so I can get there early in the afternoon, and have backup flights on the same airline in case my bags or I did have a problem;

Arrive for the 5:15 flight if my actual plane failed to arrive into Lubbock the night before. Both of those planes overnight there and it's easy to check on such and that plane is only half full now;

Except my 7:50 only has 3 seats open so it will be tempting to volunteer mine if they need it enough to pay me well, in which case I'll take the 10:53am out of Lubbock as it's about half full, and the next flight to RTB at 3:37pm is only half full in First.​
I will call & text by 8 Central/9Eastern if I change.

After I booked this in November, my brother started having problems from a medical issue he beat over 10 years ago, and it's been touchy at times thru most of December and January. I'd purchased "cancel for any reason" trip insurance originally just in case and I have been wondering all along, but he's been out of the hospital and stable for a couple of weeks at least. Fortunately he is tougher than me, but it's been a long battle. He sounds good for now tho, and today is my deadline for canceling freely so - I guess I am good to go. :pilot: Lubbock weather looks very good for Friday night & Saturday so the planes should be moving alright. Looks like you have a little chance of snow Friday & Saturday but not bad.

Just three days until Salva Vida...! :cheers:

Excellent - the day is drawing nigh.. I didnt get any packing done over the weekend so time to get it in gear I guess. Hopefully no wx delays here or ATL - but I've got enough time between my original flights that I should be ok, and even more margin if I can get on the 5:30.. The nice thing is that CAK is pretty small so they can keep up with reasonable weather. (I got to Milwaukee and back on January 7 during snowstorms in both cities)...

The first flight from ATL leaves at 9:40 so I should be able to receive your text or call no problem.

By the way - I'll likely be wearing a PADI hat and you've seen my pics on FB so I should be easy enough to recognize.

I need to try on walking shorts and boat shorts to see which ones still fit. :shocked2: The weather does look nice so I am only bringing two pair of long pants: the pair I arrive in and the pair I leave in. Haven't seen my roomie here lately. I guess I can Facebook him a missive.

I've been here reading along each day, training, buying stuff, and getting packed now! Oh and "getting ahead" here at work :shakehead:

I found some nice thin convertible pants at Cabelas which normally I'd never wear but thought it might be handy to have a pair of shorts that convert to pants to keep the evening bugs at bay. I've also stocked up thin long sleeve shirts for the same reason and planned to bring along a couple pairs of khakis. Is that reasonable or should I stick with more T-shirts and shorts based on your experience?

Can't wait to meet/see you all in 5 days!

Well as for the pants/long sleeve stuff - all depends on your evening plans. Since my schedule is usually - breakfast-dive-dive-eat lunch -dive-move gear to gazebo - night shore dive - eat dinner- download photos sitting in lobby - sleep, that doesnt leave me with much time walking around at night in any areas where bugs would be.
I wore pants when I arrived and same ones when I left - the rest of the time was shorts/t-shirts or maybe a polo shirt at dinner. That was pretty much my wardrobe.
If you do plan to be outside at night walking around, some light coverings might be good along with some cactus juice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom