Fantasy Island...Here We Come!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H\Hopefully, the weather will be good and no hurricanes decide to drop in. But, stranded on a tropical island isn't the worse thing either.
Haha, it is still the season. Tomas is headed that way, with Cat-3 expectations by Thursday - but anything could happen by then, much less next weekend. I would not want to be on the island for a real one, but if he is still alive and headed that way next weekend, I doubt that he'll be close by flight time.

Warm tropical Island and add a little Cajun spice....you get Hurrican Tomas. Looks like it will stay a little north of the bay islands. At least, that is what I'm seeing, but could change. Have to keep an eye on this for them.

Snagel
Yeah the computers were in big disagreement last night but they all show a north turn expected today. Good news for the Bay and Yucatan; horrible news for Haiti.

Well, where do I begin? Have you ever heard the expression "The difference between night and day?" Well...here at Fantasy Island, I have experienced that in person over the weekend.

I knew the resort was changing management, but I have not heard anything about what changes were in store. Well, I'm here to tell you that MAJOR changes have occurred. We arrived on Saturday and I couldn't believe I was at the resort I have frequented and loved for so long. Outgoing management has basically allowed the place to run down and haven't maintained or repaired anything. Two of the rooms in our group had to go without toilet seats Saturday and Sunday. There didn't seem to be a solution to this dilemna :confused: The food served to us was horrible and the pickings were slim. Nevertheless, we survived the weekend. Here's the biggest news...8 people were relieved of their duties at the dive shop. The slate is clean and only the employees with a positive attitude who do a great job remain. This, of course, broke our hearts. These guys have been our friends for a number of years and we hated to see them go. We felt fortunate to have the opportunity to give them hugs and say goodbye.

That being said, the break of dawn on Monday was a WHOLE NEW DAY! (November first is when the new management took over) I can't believe the difference. The service is phenomenal. I can say that this resort is now very well managed. We returned from our second dive of the day to find a brand new toilet seat :D Not only that, but numerous other "projects" around the resort have already been begun. Although we missed our buddies at the dive shop, I have to say that we were extremely pleased with the fact that not one of our tank fills was below 3100 psi and our Nitrox was consistently within .5% of the 32% it was supposed to be. The remaining staff along with the new guys are doing their best to make sure every diver is accomodated to the best of their ability.

Now to the part that everybody wants to know about...the food. We had the BEST three meals today that I've ever experienced at Fantasy Island. I don't know who the chef is, but I do know there is new restaurant manager named Harry - a very nice gentleman. Melvyn is back to grill up all your favorite omelettes for breakfast and meats for dinner. Things are looking up at Fantasy Island!

The new managers are incredible...very proactive and very responsive to any needs their customers have. Although the first two days under the previous management were absolutely miserable, I am now completely happy and the new guys are doing their best to make it up to us. Who could ask for anything more :idk:

Sounds wonderful. Must have been awful at first as much as you love the place but glad it got better.
8 people were relieved of their duties at the dive shop. The slate is clean and only the employees with a positive attitude who do a great job remain
Well, I would hate to lose the few I knew well...!!

Well, where do I begin? Have you ever heard the expression "The difference between night and day?" Well...here at Fantasy Island, I have experienced that in person over the weekend.

I knew the resort was changing management, but I have not heard anything about what changes were in store. Well, I'm here to tell you that MAJOR changes have occurred. We arrived on Saturday and I couldn't believe I was at the resort I have frequented and loved for so long. Outgoing management has basically allowed the place to run down and haven't maintained or repaired anything. Two of the rooms in our group had to go without toilet seats Saturday and Sunday. There didn't seem to be a solution to this dilemna :confused: The food served to us was horrible and the pickings were slim. Nevertheless, we survived the weekend. Here's the biggest news...8 people were relieved of their duties at the dive shop. The slate is clean and only the employees with a positive attitude who do a great job remain. This, of course, broke our hearts. These guys have been our friends for a number of years and we hated to see them go. We felt fortunate to have the opportunity to give them hugs and say goodbye.

That being said, the break of dawn on Monday was a WHOLE NEW DAY! (November first is when the new management took over) I can't believe the difference. The service is phenomenal. I can say that this resort is now very well managed. We returned from our second dive of the day to find a brand new toilet seat :D Not only that, but numerous other "projects" around the resort have already been begun. Although we missed our buddies at the dive shop, I have to say that we were extremely pleased with the fact that not one of our tank fills was below 3100 psi and our Nitrox was consistently within .5% of the 32% it was supposed to be. The remaining staff along with the new guys are doing their best to make sure every diver is accomodated to the best of their ability.

Now to the part that everybody wants to know about...the food. We had the BEST three meals today that I've ever experienced at Fantasy Island. I don't know who the chef is, but I do know there is new restaurant manager named Harry - a very nice gentleman. Melvyn is back to grill up all your favorite omelettes for breakfast and meats for dinner. Things are looking up at Fantasy Island!

The new managers are incredible...very proactive and very responsive to any needs their customers have. Although the first two days under the previous management were absolutely miserable, I am now completely happy and the new guys are doing their best to make it up to us. Who could ask for anything more :idk:

That is great news. Let us know if they clean the bat guano from the open stairwell wall going up to the dining room.

We will be there next month. After reading a report from a group that was there the last week in Oct, I was beginning to worry. Glad to hear they are working on changes. Keep us posted and more importantly, how is the diving?

Good news of a great start to management. Hopefully, it will continue! :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom