Fantasy Island...Here We Come!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was nervous reading the beginning of your report as we just booked Feb 14-21 for $1785 per person (not so cheap I thought). I was hoping the new management would take care of all the bad stuff reported here and now you`ve confirmed that. Hopefully there will be BIG changes over the next 3.5 months and we`ll come in February and fall in love with the place.

Thanks
Betty

It's a nice property. Good to see it on the road to recovery.

I look forward to your always informative reports. Is Darren still there? He is the best. Are they using the new boats? I like the old ones myself.

I look forward to your always informative reports. Is Darren still there? He is the best. Are they using the new boats? I like the old ones myself.
Yeah, we need to know who got retired even if it's sad news. I only remember a few names and confused on which name was my DM, but some of the boat crewmen are pretty special. Break it to us Diva, if it's not depressing.

And I like the old, slow boats too. Roomy, sufficient, a nice African Queen feel. All they need is fiberglass work, paint, and engines which I understood were purchased.
OK DD I have to ask. What IS your avatar
Haha, my current Avatar is the biggest break thru in recreational dive safety of the decade. It goes on sale Nov 17 at DEMA. See my current Sig. (If anyone reads this after I change my Avatar, see http://www.analox.net/proddetail.php?productid=91&ref=22)

I'm really please at the early signs of improvement. I've made 4 trips to FI over the last 7 years and have really enjoyed it but the last trip in August 2010 made me wonder whether it would be around much longer.

Please, to those going to FI over the next few months, keep us informed as to what changes are taking place.

I second the request to know which of the dive staff may have been released.

It is very obvious to me that the owner and new managers of Fantasy Island are seriously concerned about sprucing up the resort and restoring it to a really nice facility. When we arrived on Saturday, the road was so full of potholes that our bus had to go incredibly slow and maneuver around them. On Monday afternoon the road had been repaired as well as the parking area around the entrance. It is so much better! I saw that they have received 120 brand new air conditioning units which they are beginning to install...I don't guess I'll see the benefit of these, but it will be great for those coming soon :wink: New lighting is being installed throughout the resort. They've already got the exterior fixtures installed on the way to the dive shop and we actually have bulbs in all the light fixtures!

The best part is that we all helped christen the "Mallorca" and she is taking divers out to the reef! Another new boat is to be delivered soon as well as a refurbished existing boat. Things at the dive shop are looking great!

I will post more later...with pictures - I must keep it brief for now since there's diving to be done! I've been doing four dives a day instead of three and I'm pretty wiped out:D

By the way...the weather has been absolutely amazing. We've enjoyed flat calm seas, but there have been a few showers - mostly at night. Visibility was not the best, but pretty decent. We brought a younger dive buddy along with us this trip (I have adopted him as my "scuba son"!) and we're doing our best to keep up with him. We've been doing a fourth dive each day as a drop-off on the Prince Albert...what a blast we've been having! The life on that vessel is incredible. Today the nasty weather has moved in - I'm told it's spin-off from Tomas. The winds out of the northeast are really kicking. I'm sure the north shore is really getting some wave action, but here on the south side the seas are fine.

Last edited:
Yep, my back met several of those potholes. I thought it was a speed brake, but glad they got them repaired. Now you just have to watch out for the cows on the road.

Sounds like things are looking up. I'm very jealous. The thing that bothered me the most was the darkness of the resort at night. I kept thinking it would look so awesome with some lighting. Sounds like they are working on it. We actually took candles down to the Gazebo at night. The new boat was there when we were there, but not in use. It looked great. I heard somebody complaining about how high the jump off was going to be and the ladder. (Some people complain about everthing and they hadn't even used the boat).

Just a couple more days, Diva and you're back to reality. Enjoy it while you can....I miss it already.

Snagel

You're right nagel...almost back to reality! I did remember to tell Derry that the Steves said hello :D

Speaking of the dive gazebo...it now has a new dive platform. They constructed a whole new sturdy platform and it's open for business...a marked improvement! They've also been out on the beach with a bulldozer getting things leveled and straightened out. The place is looking much better. I wish we could stick around a while longer and see what the rooms look like with all the improvements. We've got enough miles for a free flight, so I think we will come back in January and check it out.

The thing we have enjoyed the most is the improved food quality. Since we had to put up with so much neglect from the outgoing management on Saturday and Sunday, the new staff prepared quite a feast on Thursday night...lobster, king crab and more! It was very well received and very much appreciated :D

I'm really liking the new management staff. The resort general manager exudes confidence...just watching him walk across the room makes you think he's going to get things done! I really think Fantasy Island is on the way to serious improvement :cool2:

Sounds fabulous. I remember that they used to have grilled lobster once a week (but no crab) so it's nice to hear it's back. Do you have any pictures of the new gazebo?

I hope they are giving you a free week for the glowing reports. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom