Fantasy Island, Roatan Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been several threads in this forum & the travel forums asking about the status of Fantasy Island Dive Resort on Roatan, so I thought it would be best to post one new message rather than a bunch of responses. It appears that the reports of Fantasy Island's demise were premature.

They completed the repairs on the bridge to the island and almost all of the renovations & reopened on November 1st. They have renovated the rooms, bar & restaurant, lobby, refreshed the dive shop & upgraded portions of the marina. Unofficially we are being told that about $900,000 has been spent so far on the renos with more to come. The comments being made are that the resort is in the best condition it has been in the past 10 years. I have asked them to give me some pictures of the renos to post so we can all see the improvements.

There are a few guests at the resort right now & their first large group arrives on Nov 7th, about 250 guests of which 140 are divers so they are clearly not out of business!

In case anyone is wondering, I do not have any connection with Fantasy Island, I am simply trying to keep everyone informed about dive industry happenings on Roatan.

Thanks for the post, I'll be there with a large group Nov 9, tomorrow woohoo!! I was a little worried from previous post and reviews .

You will love it Steve. Those guys at the dive shop are awesome - they will take great care of you. Please be sure and post a trip report when you return - we would LOVE to hear all about the improvements at Fantasy Island :D

Just got back from Fantasy Island yesterday. Had a great time, was there with a party of 154, of which 105 were active divers. The dive were great, had so many divers they borrowed 2 boats from Coco View.

The good points: they picked us up at the airport, with a bus, and truck for our bags. delivered them to our rooms. Our group planner helped with check in so it went very smooth. Breakfast lunch and dinner was served on time every day with enough food for everyone. The rooms were clean, and maid service was excellent, the staff was very friendly the beaches in the swim area were kept clean, which really was a task, because there was a lot of trash in the waters. Entire staff was very friendly and helpful when there were problem, they were taken care of right away. The rooms were what I expected for a dive resort, so not much to say about that but will answer any questions about them.

Bad point, none of which were really a problem: due to the number of divers, ran out of nitrox on the third day because a compressor was down, I had paid for the week, but only used 3 days, no problem getting a refund. The only problem with the dive is there was alot of trash in the waters, went on a trip to Utila, and there was trash all the way. ran out of water on 2 separate days for a few hours. I think they had pump problems. TVs in my room didn't work, but wasn't a problem for me gave me a reason to get out and socialize. The WiFi was spotty, wasn't working for some people at times, got a better signal from the boutique. (we all need to disconnect sometimes). The lock on my balcony door didn't work, and my door lock stop working, needed new battery's. None of these reason would stop me from going back, but the hassle leaving the country would stop me from going back. The beach pictures are from the view from my room. not the swim side of the beach, but the dive side. That's just a smidgen of how bad the trash was in the water.
Fantasy Island_11 12 13_0113-88 - Copy.jpgFantasy Island_11 12 13_0114-89 - Copy.jpgFantasy Island_11 12 13_0115-90 - Copy.jpgFantasy Island_11 12 13_0116-91 - Copy.jpgFantasy Island_11 12 13_0117-92 - Copy.jpgFantasy Island_11 12 13_0118-93 - Copy.jpgFantasy Island_11 12 13_0119-94 - Copy.jpgNABS Summit_11 16 13_0004-155.jpgNABS Summit_11 16 13_0005-156.jpgNABS Summit_11 16 13_0006-157.jpg

Thanks for your report. +1 on your departure problem. Please specify.Unhappy to hear about all the trash, but glad to see Fantasy Island back.

Airport hi-Jinks:

I was there at the same time, for me, it was about average as any departure. We were there at 11:30 for a 2:00 flight. This helps in the process.

CCV handed us a sheet of departure information that was different and updated from my last trip 7 months previous. It laid out everything that was going to happen to us to the smallest detail, including the $39.24 Departuer Tax.

CCV had our bags right there- bang at the check-in counter, the "bag-boys" took them up there for us as we arrived. I was though it in 3 minutes, stood in line to pay departure tax for two minutes (demanded change for my $40 and the clerk got so flustered she gave me 30 Lempiras, about $.36 US too much- so I got over on 'em that time, making amends for everyone else that just walked away without getting any lempiras in change).

Had a coffee. Went into passport control,, 30 seconds.

Now they are going to get even for that 70 Cents US that I hot them for at the Departure Tax Window.....

Went through their TSA where they stole two of my very dangerous BIC lighters (they must have enough batteries and DEET at this point).

Sat down in departure lounge, had a superb sandwich from that place in the far back corner. Sat with a couple I've known for 30 years, they've been through the airport maybe 1000 times (not kidding). I mentioned the lighters, he developed an odd look then produced a Leatherman Tool (with two knives) that the TSA-Like Clowns apparently missed while looking for butane lighters.

They called my departure, I went through another horse crap TSA-Like check (It's Honduras- everybody's got a job) and got on the United Airlines Flight to Houston.

After that, if you don't have GOES Trusted Traveler Endorsement, you're either new at this (excusable) or a complete idiot (not so much).

Stuff in the Water- The raft of plastic detritus that drifted in for two days? It is one of two well-known such masses of this stuff that regularly swirl through the Caribbean. If you've been around a whole lot you've seen it before. Like I said, this was the smaller of the two in existence. Some guests were concerned about the seemingly poop-like matter suspended below it, CCV had it tested and it came out normal for e-Coli. Very pro-active. For the observant however, this was a fertile ground for hunting for the unlikely Cariibean version of that thing that looks like a Leafy Sea Dragon and juvenile Turtles. And it just looked like garbage to most people. :wink: Most of it was, I guess.

Last edited:
Great news, thanks. Been there a few times, always liked it in spite of shortcomings, and was hoping it could be saved. I hope they overhauled the old boats instead of replacing them - so much character.

Looks like they may have gotten 2 new boats, they still had 2 wooden boats.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2013 at 02:32 PM ----------

Delta's check in process was very slow, arrived at 10:30 also for a 1:15 departure, was in line for about 2 hours. luckily the plane was delayed. People that were at the resort with us caught the 12:30 shuttle, they were flying United, or American. They were in the terminal before a lot of us were. United also boarded right before we did with no problem, we had to go through a bag check before boarding our plane, and I ended up with the person that wanted to do a thorough job, I had my camera bag, and she checked every thing in it and my back pack. Also we couldn't carry any liquids over three ounces even if you got them in the terminal. Out of all my travels, I've never had a problem like that before, even in Jamaica where they check bags before getting on the plan, they still allowed liquids that were purchased in the terminal.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2013 at 02:44 PM ----------

Airport hi-Jinks:

I was there at the same time, for me, it was about average as any departure. We were there at 11:30 for a 2:00 flight. This helps in the process.

CCV handed us a sheet of departure information that was different and updated from my last trip 7 months previous. It laid out everything that was going to happen to us to the smallest detail, including the $39.24 Departuer Tax.

CCV had our bags right there- bang at the check-in counter, the "bag-boys" took them up there for us as we arrived. I was though it in 3 minutes, stood in line to pay departure tax for two minutes (demanded change for my $40 and the clerk got so flustered she gave me 30 Lempiras, about $.36 US too much- so I got over on 'em that time, making amends for everyone else that just walked away without getting any lempiras in change).

Had a coffee. Went into passport control,, 30 seconds.

Now they are going to get even for that 70 Cents US that I hot them for at the Departure Tax Window.....

Went through their TSA where they stole two of my very dangerous BIC lighters (they must have enough batteries and DEET at this point).

Sat down in departure lounge, had a superb sandwich from that place in the far back corner. Sat with a couple I've known for 30 years, they've been through the airport maybe 1000 times (not kidding). I mentioned the lighters, he developed an odd look then produced a Leatherman Tool (with two knives) that the TSA-Like Clowns apparently missed while looking for butane lighters.

They called my departure, I went through another horse crap TSA-Like check (It's Honduras- everybody's got a job) and got on the United Airlines Flight to Houston.

After that, if you don't have GOES Trusted Traveler Endorsement, you're either new at this (excusable) or a complete idiot (not so much).

Stuff in the Water- The raft of plastic detritus that drifted in for two days? It is one of two well-known such masses of this stuff that regularly swirl through the Caribbean. If you've been around a whole lot you've seen it before. Like I said, this was the smaller of the two in existence. Some guests were concerned about the seemingly poop-like matter suspended below it, CCV had it tested and it came out normal for e-Coli. Very pro-active. For the observant however, this was a fertile ground for hunting for the unlikely Cariibean version of that thing that looks like a Leafy Sea Dragon and juvenile Turtles. And it just looked like garbage to most people. :wink: Most of it was, I guess.

See you were on of the people that came in after me, and had a sandwich before I sat down (LOL). I have GOES, but does no good there. :-( I had some extra batteries, they did question me about them but they didn't take them.

It was my first time diving there, so it was my first time seeing all that trash. The only place I've seen that compared was Santo Domingo DR, but you wouldn't dive in that water either. I do dive the Caribbean, 2 to 3 times a year but I've only been diving 2 years. If it's really coming from where they say it is (flooding in the mountains) I understand it's hard to control.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom