Fantasy Island, Roatan Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son and his wife were there late last year. He loved it and is ready to go back. It is a dive resort, not a 5 star hotel. He said the dive boats are new, the dive operation was outstanding. The food was good and plentyful. I will be going with them next time.

Ok I went twice before the remodel and am now back after.

Common areas such as lobby have seen fresh paint. Large flatscreen TV at the bar. Another at the lobby desk. The beach has had new chairs or refurbished chairs. Several buildings look to have new roofing shingles. They are only using one of the older boats and it's had fresh paint (little dev).

I see some external rotted wood siding has been replaced, just a few spots that looked to be rotting in years passed.

The rooms: this is tough the rooms here are so in consistent.

The Best Rooms Have Always Been 100-110 AND 200-210. I am in 108...The floor is a per go like tile, but this room had that floor a year ago. The furniture is freshly painted, as are the walls but they always have had good paint. The only change I can see in the bathroom is the replacement of shower curtain with sliding door. All else is the same. The shower/sink water is still salty, making you feel sticky after bathing. I doubt that will ever change...there's a trick to that. After cleaning use conditioner on your whole body then rinse. It's adds back some of the moisture the salt and soap takes out.

Anyway, I've always loved it here and still do. However, no there is no before/after dramatic makeover to be had.

Oh the airport transfer bus is newish. That's nice the old one was a real mess. Once had luggage nearly bounce out the door that didn't shut :)

Any Fantasy Island Trip-Reports/photos from Summer 2014?

Any more comments on current accommodations?

Do Whale Sharks ever come to the Southern side of Roatan?

Any big animals swim close to the Fantasy Island shore-dives?

What are the Autumn water-temperatures?
In other words, would 3mm or 5mm be more appropriate?
Viz? 50ft? 100ft?

Finally, is it even a contest? Apparently they're right across from each other?
Fantasy Island vs. CCV.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Any Fantasy Island Trip-Reports/photos from Summer 2014?

Any more comments on current accommodations?

Do Whale Sharks ever come to the Southern side of Roatan?

Yes, I have seen two of them on what amounts to the CCV/FIBR Shore dive

Any big animals swim close to the Fantasy Island shore-dives?

Go for the macro/micro. Use this unique zone for what it is best known for. I have seen Dolphin, all manner of Sharks, Atlantic Mantas, and apparently the 200 pound Goliath Grouper is back on the Prince Albert Wreck.

Again- go for the micro/macro.

What are the Autumn water-temperatures?

Depending upon rain run-off, likely 80° to 81°

In other words, would 3mm or 5mm be more appropriate?

Only you can know. Not only is your own body and reaction a personal factor, but so is the raw number of dives you will do on any given day. At FIBR, a full day would be 3, at CCV look for 5 a day.

Viz? 50ft? 100ft?

If it has just rained, count on diminished viz. In the Fall it likely will rain. The further you are away from the horrendous run-off caused by the FI dredged beach, the better you'll like it.

Fantasy Island vs. CCV.

Contest? Not even the same game.

Thanks.

FIBR has very inexpensive promotional deals and has rooms, CCV never discounted and is always booked. Understand that.

Fantasy Island vs. CCV.

If you're trying to decide between these 2, you may also want to consider Reef House Resort; there was a recent trip report on it that got into some of the differences vs. CocoView. Basically, it's cheaper, still good, and you need to take a long, hard look at what's different in conjunction with the difference in price.

Richard.

This thread was about FIBR, then CCV got added in, now RHR pops up.

Yes, perceptions are subjective, but actual experiences at each locale does count for a lot- most people have only seen "other resorts" from a distance or just read reports.

If I was interested in drinking, sunbathing or "chillin' out to the island vibe", I would stay home and my wife would call my Doctor :doctor:

I go to dive, I look at actual value in precious vacation time allotted in the same category as expenses. I will skip Starbucks if that means I have another $1000 a year to go to a better dive destination or resort.

I go for diving, and hold this requirement high above all others. I want multiple dives per day (with excellent dive infrastructure- boats, access, gear rooms), I want something unique to look at. This can be disquieting for those who want that "island vibe" thing. "Unique to look at"? For some, that may be Lobsters and Squirrel Fish, anything bigger than a toaster oven.

Yes, very subjective.

In terms of my criteria, here's how I unabashedly rank Roatan's AI options (as of 09/04/14)

AKR A-
CCV A
FIBR D-
RHR B-
TBR D+
BFK B+
HMR C-
MLR C-
PBR D

(NB: I see precious little difference between an A and an A-, or a B+ versus an A-, but merely slight distinctions)

Very subjective, not "on a curve", but with a broad experience base, heavily weighted to my "dive-dive-dive on unique sites" criteria. Demonstrated consistency of food, rooms and staff figure in as well.

I really can not speak to something that I can not relate with any definition: "Island Vibe".

Last edited:
Quite an interesting reply...and covering quite a number of options on Roatan.

Like you...I go for the diving. After all, this is SCUBABOARD - I guess we all go for the diving, right? And Roatan is an island that is one of the most perfect locations to indulge in what we all love...the diving! There's something for EVERY diver to enjoy in Roatan.

The fact is...although we all love to dive, we don't all dive the same and we DEFINITELY have different personalities above the water line :D I think the most important point that was made is that "perceptions are subjective, but actual experiences at each locale does count for a lot- most people have only seen "other resorts" from a distance or just read reports."

Based on Doc's list, and subject to the above criteria - here are comments on the places I have actually been and experienced:

AKR A- I would agree. We have been to AKR twice and I am of the opinion that AKR is a very well managed resort. I like their schedule, I like their staff and we always enjoyed the food. I especially appreciate the fact that they have a medical clinic onsite with a doctor on staff who is qualified to take care of a broad variety of issues. (Unfortunately we have found the need to use his services :-( I did not like the rooms, nor did I like the fact that you have to climb up and down so many stairs to get anywhere. While I do love diving, I still enjoy having comfortable places to stay and the quality of my room and its amenities is important to me. The rooms at AKR are very basic.

CCV A
I have not been to CocoView other than to visit by boat. I have been on one of the dive boats and was HIGHLY impressed. Great dive boats. CCV has run a consistently good dive resort for a number of years, and I have nothing but respect for them.

FIBR D-
I have spent MANY weeks at Fantasy Island and had MANY great times there. The dive operation is top notch and the divemasters there helped us to become much better divers and they became dear friends. We love those guys. The dive sites on the south side of Roatan are a diver's wonderland, and we love every site. I always enjoyed staying at Fantasy Island because of the comfort and amenities of the rooms. They were large and roomy enough to spread out in, even if the quality was inconsistent. Fantasy Island sits in an amazingly beautiful location - really gorgeous. We used to enjoy setting out for a hike around the island every day. We strolled all the way around the back side where the sailboats are docked, through the marina area, by the dive shop (where we would always end up stopping to visit :) and then along both beaches before returning to our room. We were always tolerant of any inconsistencies because the price was so great and we loved the staff so much.

RHR B- I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting RHR, but it is definitely on my radar.

TBR D+ - We have not stayed at Turquoise Bay Resort, but we were buddies with the owner and manager at Subway Water Sports, so we had the opportunity to visit a couple of times for dinner and diving. I was really impressed with the food both times we ate there. The dining room was comfortable and the food was well prepared. The dive operation was well managed and we had the privilege of diving with one of the finest divemasters on the island of Roatan - Osman. How can you not enjoy diving with Osman???

BFK B+ - I have no experience with BFK. I have seen their boats while diving with other ops on the south side of the island. With my propensity for seasickness, I could not even consider trying to dive off of those very small boats. If you like more of a "six-pack" experience, this would be a good option for you. I'll take a big, stable dive boat every time!

HMR C- I would give this resort much higher marks. We had the pleasure of experiencing Henry Morgan Resort for the first time this May. We spent 11 great days there and have no complaints about anything. Our accomodations were fantastic and we loved the food. The swimming pool is gorgeous. Most importantly, the diving was GREAT! We had a really good time exploring the sites on the west end of the island. Plus, if you're the type who likes to enjoy your surroundings, West Bay Beach is amazing. You can stroll up and down and discover all kinds of fun encounters :)

MLR C- Media Luna Resort gets an A rating from me - it's the finest resort I have visited on the island of Roatan. For years I watched it under construction and always felt the appeal. I love the design and beauty of the place. It's a beautiful resort with great amenities, yet it's almost like it just blends right into the incredible surroundings. The individual bungalows are built with materials that blend right into the landscape, and the gorgeous plants and flowers everywhere accentuate the natural beauty. The inside of the bungalows are what I consider luxurious compared to all of the other resorts on the island. VERY comfortable bedding, nice flat screen TV's, an expansive bathroom with a rain shower and bidet...very European. The diving is conducted by Aqua Adventures. The more I dive with them, the more I WANT to dive with them. They have faced many challenges in establishing their business in this location, but I have seen time and time again that their goal is providing the best dive experiences possible to their guests. I REALLY like these people and see great things in the future for Media Luna Resort. They have access to the great diving on the south side of the island, but they're a little farther out east and the dive sites there are not as crowded. One of the best benefits of diving here is access to some GREAT shore diving. The dive site "Half Moon Bay Wall" is within a few fin kicks!

PBR D I can't comment on this one. I've had no experience there...diving or dining
:D

My #1 priority when visiting Roatan is diving. As part of that dive experience, I want to take lots of pictures and shoot lots of video. Doing 3 dives per day, sometimes 4 is my interest. That allows me a small amount of time to download the images I have taken each day and indulge in a little relaxation time as well. I want to be in comfortable surroundings where I can chill and enjoy the people around me. The best part of any of our Roatan travels has been the wonderful friends we have made there over the years. That includes the friends here on ScubaBoard :wink:

My criteria is just a little different, but my comments are based on real experiences...

Doc, Good succinct answers and comparative grade ratings on the All Inclusive Resorts on Roatan.

CajunDiva, 'Appreciate your detailed summaries of each Resort.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to provide useful responses.

My priority is diving too.
Although, yes, it's nice to also have pleasant surface intervals.
I'll post current photos of the resort/dives if the trip goes in the Autumn.
And, I'll be on the lookout for Whalesharks that happen by the South-side.
Cheers.

Interesting to see the letter grades, and surprising to see AKR rated so high... the resort was great but the diving was hugely disappointing for me (crammed boats and 45 minute dives). Everyone sees things differently I guess or maybe we just had a bad week. I've been to FIBR three times and I really hope to see it get a bit spruced up, (my wife wasn't a huge fan and wont go back until it does). Last April we stayed at Turquoise Bay and one of my favorite FIBR dive masters was working at TBR and he said that he was not the only one who had left but he would not say why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom