Farting in the big bathtub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100 posts

fartysmile1f.gif

Reactions: Jax
If you produce enough gas, at depth, to fart and then hold it in on the ascent... will your colon pop?

I'd probably buy a new wetsuit...

If you produce enough gas, at depth, to fart and then hold it in on the ascent... will your colon pop?

I'd probably buy a new wetsuit...

It was never mentioned as a risk as I progressed through all my intensive PADI training on the way to owsi.

Dang. Doesn't look like the "Seahunt" tribute scuba fart scene from "Hot Shots Part Deux" is on Youtube. "I had a lucky break!"

Okay, I have a question . . . it might be a little advanced for this forum, so y'all don't try this at home.

If you eat beans, and then do a nice long trimix dive, and your body produces gas . . . part methane and part . . . would it be helium and nitrogen?

In other words, would you be flammable or inflammable???

Jax, perhaps you should suggest that experiment to MYTHBUSTERS. The other way to go about it is to put a lit match or lighter by the exhaust valve or your drysuit and let us know if you still have eyebrows or not after. :gas:

Okay, I have a question . . . it might be a little advanced for this forum, so y'all don't try this at home.

If you eat beans, and then do a nice long trimix dive, and your body produces gas . . . part methane and part . . . would it be helium and nitrogen?

In other words, would you be flammable or inflammable???

Well, now... That's an interesting question. Depends if you mean flammable at the surface or at depth. Lighting them afire at the surface depends on oxygen in the ambient air. At depth, you would need a sufficient amount of ambient oxygen to support combustion - there's some O2 in trimix, but I don't know offhand how well it supports combustion. If the gas mix is hypoxic at the surface, it may not. The partial pressure of the O2 at depth may be enough to make it happen.

FWIW, not all human gas contains methane. There is also some hydrogen produced. Methane burns blue. It's the hydrogen and a few other compounds) that give the additional orange or yellow hue to the flame of burning bowel gas. Some of bowel gas is from swallowed air, too.

So, my answer/guess is: the gas itself would still be just as flammable. The question would be what would happen if you lit a fart in a pressurized container filled with trimix.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom