Farting in the big bathtub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, now... That's an interesting question. Depends if you mean flammable at the surface or at depth. Lighting them afire at the surface depends on oxygen in the ambient air. At depth, you would need a sufficient amount of ambient oxygen to support combustion - there's some O2 in trimix, but I don't know offhand how well it supports combustion.

FWIW, not all human gas contains methane. There is also some hydrogen produced. Methane burns blue. It's the hydrogen (and a few other compounds) that give the additional orange or yellow hue to the flame of burning bowel gas. Some of bowel gas is from swallowed air, too.

So, my answer/guess is: the gas itself would still be just as flammable. The question would be what would happen if you lit a fart in a pressurized container filled with trimix.

:rofl3: Welcome to ScubaBoard, SleepDr!!!

The question would be what would happen if you lit a fart in a pressurized container filled with trimix.

533909_3247364954679_1583599415_48721006_938303562_n.jpg

???????

Reactions: Jax

Oxford Dictionary:

The words inflammable and flammable both have the same meaning, ‘easily set on fire’. This might seem surprising, given that the prefix in- normally has a negative meaning (as in indirect and insufficient), and so it might be expected that inflammable would mean the opposite of flammable, i.e. ‘not easily set on fire’. In fact, inflammable is formed using a different Latin prefix in-, which has the meaning ‘into’ and here has the effect of intensifying the meaning of the word in English. Flammable is a far commoner word than inflammable and carries less risk of confusion.

:spit:

Warning - bad language. Don't open if you are offendable. :blush:

405097_393075247376950_173570305994113_1478146_614658569_n.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Oxford Dictionary:

The words inflammable and flammable both have the same meaning, ‘easily set on fire’. This might seem surprising, given that the prefix in- normally has a negative meaning (as in indirect and insufficient), and so it might be expected that inflammable would mean the opposite of flammable, i.e. ‘not easily set on fire’. In fact, inflammable is formed using a different Latin prefix in-, which has the meaning ‘into’ and here has the effect of intensifying the meaning of the word in English. Flammable is a far commoner word than inflammable and carries less risk of confusion.

:ssst:

You weren't supposed to tell!!! :rofl3:

Looking at a part of the description of wetsuit, I'm wondering if the manufacturers might have conducted research into this topic....(see section bolded below)

"... Wetsuit include #10 YKK zippers, Adjustable Collars, Rolled Edges, Key Pocket, bomb proof flat lock stitching..."

Either way, I guess it comforting to know they've got our back(sides) covered :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom