Fast Moving Coral Disease Alert on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is so disheartening. I was just starting to plan a trip to Bonaire this spring and now I an second guessing that.

So I was there last August and it wasn't that bad. 2016 was worse, 2015, 2017 and 2021 were better. I have an October 2024 trip booked with 4 friends. Are we going to be better off cancelling this trip and going somewhere else? Everyone going has been at least twice, so the experience of the island otherwise isn't something we need to get for the sake of getting it.

So I was there last August and it wasn't that bad. 2016 was worse, 2015, 2017 and 2021 were better. I have an October 2024 trip booked with 4 friends. Are we going to be better off cancelling this trip and going somewhere else? Everyone going has been at least twice, so the experience of the island otherwise isn't something we need to get for the sake of getting it.
Where is there no SCTLD or had coral bleaching last year in Caribbean? Answer : no where!
We were there in September. Still nice but SCTLD was evident but not total destruction. Still nice coral formations and fish life. Will go back this year.

I guess you can go to Indonesia. It is on my bucket list.

Where is there no SCTLD or had coral bleaching last year in Caribbean?
A two-part question. I have found no evidence of SCTLD in Little Cayman or Cayman Brac. Bleaching, though . . . it was a terrible awful year.

A two-part question. I have found no evidence of SCTLD in Little Cayman or Cayman Brac. Bleaching, though . . . it was a terrible awful year.

Both Little Cayman and Cayman Brac have been hit by SCTLD, possibly not as badly as no cruise ships dock at those locations.

Where is there no SCTLD or had coral bleaching last year in Caribbean? Answer : no where!
We were there in September. Still nice but SCTLD was evident but not total destruction. Still nice coral formations and fish life. Will go back this year.

I guess you can go to Indonesia. It is on my bucket list.
Thanks for pointing this out. SCTLD has indeed hit the entire region. Worse at some locations than others.

That “simple search” gave you a reference to SCTLD on Grand Cayman (which was well known here) - it does not talk to it being found in Cayman Brac or Little Cayman.

Back
Top Bottom