Fatal Honeymoon or just poor judgment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhatD1ver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, this is old news, the story has been out there for years, but I've just finished a little reading and review of this incident and have form my opinion based on looking at a lot of data, and also what I know with my own limited experience.

Two things

First, in my opinion, poor investigation and misunderstood facts aside, Gabe by the Aussie definition of 'manslaughter' was guilty of that 'crime', he was negligent, he and his wife should never have been on that dive, in the water without a DM or Instructor. And even though "The Hero" Wade Singleton tried to save Tina (and rightly so because he was clearly more negligent than Gabe is so many ways), he should have been even more accountable.

Second, Gabe was no murderer. If it had been his intent to dive and drown his wife by cutting off her air, wouldn't it have been smarter to 'forget' his dive computer entirely, and explain that he was using tables and his watch? I've looked at Mike McFayden's analysis of the dive data, and I'm pretty sure that even being bigger than my wife, I'm not going to turn off her air, and then hold onto her in a 'bearhug' for 3-4 minutes while she drowns without a huge struggle, and then have the wherewithal to turn her valve back on, and somehow account for why there was so much air missing in only the 3-4 minutes she spent acutally breathing.

Now, I am not a super experienced diver myself, but I like to think I've taken a learning progression to my new hobby and sport. So, I take a little exception to McFayden's surly ideas that a diver with 50-60 dives couldn't dive the Yongala. For crying out loud, it's at 27 meters, a deep dive, current might be a problem, but it's a non-penetration wreck, and since the predominant current direction is about what it was the day of this accident. I can't see why the dive itself was a problem.

The difference is out of my dives today (145), I have an average dive time per dive of 40 minutes (which is pretty good for a 335#, 55 year old man), and out of my 145 dives 51 of them are between 18 and 25 meters, 24 of them are between 25 and 30 meters, and 11 of them are in excess of 30 meters (all 11 with an instructor for training (AOW/DEEP/WRECK/SIDEMOUNT). So for this relatively 'inexperienced' diver 86 of my 145 dives (almost 60%) would be classified as DEEP, and I'm not just in the water for a 'quick dip', Also, of those same 145 dives, 24 are wreck dives, 15 of them in Coron. I get my moneys worth for the effort.

Now, my wife has nearly 60 dives, but again, nearly 30-35% of her dives are DEEP by definition, and I know she also has 5 over 30 meters. And, she got her certification (yes, to make me happy) in the harsh waters of SoCal, paying the price to haul gear from the parking lot at Redondo Beach, and to crawl out of the surf after. She nearly gave up, her instructor never figured it would take. But he was there teaching me the DRY SUIT specialty the first time we dived together. And the next time we dove in an aquarium, and after that in Saipan. And I was scared to death having her diving with me. Turns out she is a pretty good diver, has really good SAC, loves the critters. And although I've managed extra trips while she had to work, we enjoy traveling together and diving together.

I mention all this because while I think Gabe was innocent of murder, I also think he was a big dummy. Deep diving does take practice, and certainly, diving in a quarry, no matter how cold, or how poor the vis isn't diving in the ocean. (Nor is diving in the ocean, quarry diving, where I believe an overconfident diver could find themselves in similar trouble.). But diving in that environment with a handful of dives where the guy basically stuck his head under the water? He had no business diving that wreck without a DM.

And then taking that pretty little wife diving without a DM on that wreck? She was a total train wreck mentally. He had to know she was nervous, He had to know that the dive would be stretching her to her limits. They were on a liveaboard for heck sake, he could have scheduled her for her AOW course, then the problem was the instructors to work out, and he could just follow along and enjoy the dive. Not having professional help was just stupid. That was negligent, it was reckless, and he definitely contributed to her death, but he didn't murder her.

For Mike Ball Expeditions (who until I came upon this incident while looking into a trip I thought about using), I guess I'm now going to look elsewhere for our Barrier Reef liveaboard experience we are planning for 2017. The way they handled everything from the time Gabe booked, to basically abandoning him after the accident was not professional, and they obviously don't check out their Boat Directors moral compass.

So, now that I've ranted, anyone care to tell me if you agree or disagree and why not?

I haven't read that fully either as I live in another state so have other legislation.....what I did find interesting was the BMI Index chart.. Have not seen that on any other Code of Conduct ive read for any other industry.

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/__d...nal-technical-diving-snorkelling-cop-2011.pdf some light reading to bring you up to speed on the legislative requirements for the scuba industry in QLD....

Serious thanks for this. That is a great document. But as noted by McFayden in the Watson case, the company (Mike Ball Exp) had a similary 'program' as prescribed by law, but didn't follow it greatly contributing to Tina Watson's death. Just the diver review (which in all my trips has always been done by the shop or operator before letting me dive). In a US court certainly would be forced to bankruptcy by the civil lawsuit for failure to prevent the accident.

But this is a great improvement, and the guidelines if followed would certainly prevent a situation like the Watson's ever repeating itself.

PhatD1ver, I am the author of the articles you read. If you check carefully, I did not state that a person with 50-60 dives cannot dive the Yongala. I stated that Gabe did not have the experience as he had never dived in the ocean without a dive instructor. Also, Tina had never dived in the ocean. Gabe also only had a very limited number of ocean dives. Diving in a quarry (like the one in Alabama) is like diving in a swimming pool.

Also, a diver of such limited experience does not have the ability to fully understand if a dive is too hard for them and as such there needs to be rules built in to stop this happening. There were in this case, but the operator and staff ignored them. If the code (that Mike Ball company wrote) was followed, Tina would not have died as she would have had a divemaster or instructor with her to assist.

An average dive time in itself really means nothing, unless it is known what depth was being dived to. For example, my last 10 or so boat dives have probably averaged about 40 minutes. My last 10 shore dives would average over 60 minutes. My average boat dive time when diving a coral reef is probably over 60 minutes. The difference is in Sydney our boat dives are sqaure profiles, so we quickly run out of bottom time. On coral reef dives, I can do multi level dives. In Gabe's case, the relevance is that all his dives should have fallen into the multi-level dives, so his average bottom time should have been much higher than the 23 minutes he had over 53 dives.

Make no mistake, the Yongala IS A HARD DIVE. It nearly always has currents, sometimes very strong. Personally I have twice refused to dive it because of the current and also one other dive it picked up so much while we were in that it was a very difficult dive (and I have over 3,800 dives). It also regularly has rough seas which adds to a diver's discomfort before they get in.

As to Mike Ball, it is now again owned by Mike Ball whereas when the incided happened it was owned by a Japanese company. I am certain that they do not operate like they did when this happened.

Last edited:
PhatD1ver, I am the author of the articles you read. If you check carefully, I did not state that a person with 50-60 dives cannot dive the Yongala. I stated that Gabe did not have the experience as he had never dived in the ocean without a dive instructor. Also, Tina had never dived in the ocean. Gabe also only had a very limted number of ocean dives. Diving in a quarry (like the one in Alabama) is like diving in a swimming pool.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't agree about the idea that more experience than 50-60 might be needed. As I noted, I've worked hard on improving my overall underwater skills, but especially my technical skills (still going) because I do like wrecks, and reality is that the good ones are all pretty much in the DEEP range for a recreational diver. I think my point was that even today, I'd pay the $10 (or whatever) to have a DM or guide either lead me or tail me around the dive site. I think it's only prudent unless you've been on the site multiple times. For instance, there is a helicopter wreck in Anilao, Philippines that I love to go 'play' on. There's nothing spectacular I guess, just a family of lion fish, a friendly school of good size bat fish, a giant pile of tires they tried to make an artificial reef with containing all kinds of hidden critters, and the helicopter itself rests on the slope at 28 meters on the heels of its skids and the tailboom broken off at a near 90 degrees. Behind the helicopter the slope drops quickly off to 45 meters and beyond (or so my instructor tells me).

I go to all that trouble to point out that I've been on this dive site which is 100m off the beach from our dive operator (Aquaventures Reef Club) now 5 times. Each time with either a guide or an instructor (cuz it's a great training dive for things like sidemount and deep diving). But, I wouldn't have any reservation about making that dive with my wife in tow as a couple at this point. I figure I'm experienced enough on this site, and she has sufficient experience, SAC rate, and also DEEP training that we could make the dive. (of course, this is a nearly ZERO current, ZERO chance of current dive).

Now, on the Akitsushima in Coron, I might dive this site with a wreck qualified buddy in sidemount, but I'm not going near it with my wife. Love her to death, but we aren't compatible in that situation. The down line pull to the wreck was plenty of work, I've never been so happy to drop into a dark hole and enter a wreck. And when we came out, we literally had to hold onto the mast to wait our turn on the ascent line. It was a TOUGH dive too.

Also, a diver of such limited experience does not have the ability to fully understand if a dive is too hard for them and as such there needs to be rules built in to stop this happening. There were in this case, but the operator and staff ignored them. If the code (that Mike Ball company wrote) was followed, Tina would not have died as she would have had divemaster or instructor with her to assist.

100% agree, and I have one thing going for me (and against me) is that I am a former military helicopter pilot. I'm all about measuring risk, and I can accept if an operator tells me "it's not your day".

An average dive time in itself really means nothing, unless it is known what depth was being dived to. For example, my last 10 or so boat dives have probably averaged about 40 minutes. My last 10 shore dives would average over 60 minutes. My average boat dive time when diving a coral reef is probably over 60 minutes. The difference is in Sydney our boat dives are sqaure profiles, so we quickly run out of bottom time. On coral reef dives, I can do multi level dives. In Gabe's case, the relevance is that all his dives should have fallen into the multi-level dives, so his average bottom time should have been much higher than the 23 minutes he had over 53 dives.

I only mention my average of 40 minutes because I do recognize that more experienced divers have longer bottoms times in general. My point is that over the course of those dives, when you consider 60% were DEEP, and 1/4 of the total 86 deep dives on EAN, that I'm not just bounce diving, we are using up bottom time as it's allowed. I agree that even as a casual observer, with my limited experience, and looked at Gabe's logbook, I'd have wondered what kind of instructor trained him, but more, why he wasn't clearly identified as BEGINNER.

Make no mistake, the Yongala IS A HARD DIVE. It nearly always has currents, sometimes very strong. Personally I have twice refused to dive it because of the current and also one other dive it picked up so much while we were in that it was a very difficult dive (and I have over 3,800 dives). It also regularly has rough seas which adds to a diver's discomfort before they get in.

Oh, I'm hearing you. I'm still going to plan my trip, but I'm going to make sure I'm ready. And if it's not my day, so be it. I'll be going down with a guide regardless, and if my wife wants to make the dive (assuming she's ready) there will be a guide with her. I'm not so proud as to think that asking for professional assistance is wrong. That above all was Gabe's mistake, He wasn't just overconfident, he was plain and simple deluded if he thought he and his misses didn't need a guide.

Mike Ball, it is now again owned by Mike Ball whereas when the incident happened it was owned by a Japanese company. I am certain that they do not operate like they did when this happened.

I'll look into them, can't say that something like this doesn't leave a mark though. Wish I had guys like you around here in China. I could use a good mentor.

And to be honest, the Watson case should scare the crap out of any dive operator in the world who is taking on Chinese customers. I've lived here for 15 of the last 18 years, and there are many, many new divers with log books just like Gabe's and Tina's. There are dive operators all over Asia and other locations that are ignoring it for the money they bring in. In Coron last year, we had two ladies in our group that were very nice, but just shouldn't have been inside the wrecks given their experience. And in reality, they were a danger to everyone else, as much as themselves in that situation.

...And even though "The Hero" Wade Singleton tried to save Tina (and rightly so because he was clearly more negligent than Gabe is so many ways), he should have been even more accountable.

Wasn't Wade Singleton from a different boat? He went down, retrieved her lifeless body and brought her up in around a minute and a half, IIRC. Not sure why you would think he was negligent or should have been held accountable. Perhaps you thought he worked for the liveaboard that Gabe and Tina were on.

Ayisha, no, Wade Singleton was the trip director on the Mike Ball boat. He was the person soley responsible for checking out the abilities of divers and ensuring the adopted standards were adhered to. He did not do this at all. He also did not go down (another furphy - look it up if you do not know what this means), he was already on the wreck when it happened.

I am pretty sure I have encouraged you to read my pages on this before, really you should before commenting.

Last edited:
Where are clownfishes articles? I'm not familiar with the story and it sounds like an interesting read.

Back
Top Bottom