Fatality at Stage Fort Park - Massachusetts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the DUI demo day a few years ago at Lake Rawlings (sp?) in Virginia. DUI runs a tight ship. I was impressed with how well organized it was both in and out of the water. I did two 20min dives in a group of less than 10 divers with one instructor. Couldn't have been any easier.

Other divers swam toward him, but he did not resurface, the report indicates.

Not sure how to interpret the above, but drowning may be a possibility. What caused it (health issue, drysuit flooding, etc.) seems pure speculation at this point.

Cause of death came in as drowning due to uneven weight belt distribution, he was testing a dry suit for the 1st time and no buddy was near him in water .

Cause of death came in as drowning due to uneven weight belt distribution, he was testing a dry suit for the 1st time and no buddy was near him in water .

Does this mean he went feet up/head down and couldn't right himself, or am I misunderstanding?

I will say I'm shocked, but not surprised that the "volunteer buddy" wasn't near enough to him. There didn't seem to be any policy in place regarding level of dry suit experience.

Edited to add: Do you have a link to the report?

Was hoping someone here could explain What it means.
would the dui fitting include a properly weighted belt or was that his responsibility?

would the dui fitting include a properly weighted belt or was that his responsibility?

I brought my own weights, they did not do a weight test on me. I guessed correctly, or so it seems.

Oh, God, I am so sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your lose. When I did the DUI demo I brought my own wieghts they never asked me about it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry for your loss.

But wow, that seems kind of a vague cause that doesn't fit the eyewitness accounts. I've been that guy with his weighting set up all wrong in a dry suit and also that guy floating upside down in a dry suit with his feet sticking up, and while it is really disconcerting and frustrating, it's not a health threat. I would suggest you request the actual death investigation if you want to learn more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom