Fatality at Stage Fort Park - Massachusetts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

But wow, that seems kind of a vague cause that doesn't fit the eyewitness accounts. I've been that guy with his weighting set up all wrong in a dry suit and also that guy floating upside down in a dry suit with his feet sticking up, and while it is really disconcerting and frustrating, it's not a health threat. I would suggest you request the actual death investigation if you want to learn more.

Thank you, that is exactly what I thought!

I was once asked to help out at one of these as an instructor by a shop who was doing the demo days with dui. They have dealers show up to help out. I refused once I found out how it was going to go. Limited time, guess weighting, what I consider proper buoyancy checks not done, and allowing those who had never been in a suit before to use it in open water. My opinion is that those with dry suit experience should be no more than 4 to 1 student to instructor and those with no experience one to one. And not in open water.

Nothing stopped us (the instructors) from doing proper weighting checks. I did them one on one until I was comfortable. Same thing with the divers, if I felt I should only take one, then that is what I did.

Back
Top Bottom