Favoring tech-flavored rig setups from the beginning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to rongoodman's comment, it's also because tucking a long hose in your jacket cumberbun creates a weird bow (stealime as it may be) but a weird bow non-the-less across your front side. The shoulder straps prevent you from cleanly keeping your excess hose tucked on your side, and even worse, the lack of proper fit with stock BC's means your long hose may often come untucked and flap around..

It's worth remembering the 'non-Hogarthian' alternative. Slip a few loops of bungee around your cylinder and 'stow' the hose there. Retain sufficient length to run under your arm, around your neck and into your mouth. This provides for an immediate donation of the air source, followed by a quick deployment of the remaining hose length. The drawback is that it is much harder to re-stow your long hose (especially without buddy help or removing your rig completely). This prevents S-drills on descent - a very good protocol that, along with descent/bubble checks is rarely educated to recreational divers. S-drills, bubble and descent checks are definitely something a 'tech flavored' recreational diver should investigate... prepping for tech in the long term should be more than just equipment familiarity..

tech21099.jpg

BSAC still teach the bungeed long-hose as their preferred/authorized method of long hose stowage: “Hogarthian rigging” and “Primary take” when teaching “out of gas response” on BSAC courses

TDIAAS1.jpg

Personally, I don't like the 'BSAC method' - but then, I don't dive in a jacket BCD either..

Concerning equipment, i believe teaching students who do not own their own gear should focus on the most common denominator in diver's locale. In most places, this would mean jacket bc and no long hose.
Imagine a beginner learning with sidemount during his course then heading to a DC during his holiday to find out no SM rig (or even not the same one he learnt to use) is available for rent... No safe diving for that guy without further education!
I introduce divers to BP/W or sidemount during con ed courses instead in order to avoid this problem... Then again, i teach in a place where equipment sale makes jo economical sense and divers rarely stick around for more than a few weeks!
Skillwise: good trim, good finning techniques and mastered buoyancy are an essential part of all proper dive courses, including entry level.

In addition to everyone else's comments, I'll point out that making joke replies to people's comments about your unusually long hose just never gets old... :wink:

Your buddy will deeply appreciate your long hose when taken down for a nice one-hour penetration.

gauges/computers/compasses on your wrist, and no console. spg with a boltsnap, snapped somewhere on your left hip. and agree with the pp about bp/w and long hose/bungeed octo - those are all easy to integrate into rec diving.

Shortly after I started diving I got a long hose regulator configuration, I then dove that for a month or so with a rental bcd until I got my back plate! This set up is the only gear I've ever owned. I soon realized the benefits when I took my rescue diver class. It is SO much better to have a panicking diver 7 feet away from you. Because of course your safety always comes first! I appreciate the simplistic "only having what's necessary" approach. There is no reason for someone to lol like a Christmas tree especially as someone new to diving

...//... It is SO much better to have a panicking diver 7 feet away from you. ...//...

Did that once, didn't work out so well. Panicked divers do all sorts of stupid things like bolting for the surface.

You are likely to see your charge invert when he/she gets 7' above you while you helplessly watch the mouthpiece yank free. You first need to take command of the panicked diver. A good rescue course will teach a few ways to do this. Nothing wrong with donating a 7' hose, just hang on where the hose attaches to the secondary reg. Notice that this ties up one of your hands while you take command of a nasty situation.

I realized, in looking at this this morning, that nobody has mentioned canister lights! That was actually one of the FIRST changes I made to my gear -- having a good light is simply awesome. You will have problems mounting most of them on traditional BCs, though.

Back
Top Bottom