Favorite Bonaire Dive Sites, & other Info??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Kat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since we had kind of taken over DiveGirl400's thread (dive buddy bonaire march 2004) to ask questions about Bonaire - I thought maybe it would be better to start a new thread and get as much input from everyone that we can ....

1. So what are your favorite Bonaire Dive sites?? (and why?)
2. Favorite places to eat?
3. Any great tips to help a first-timer on Bonaire??

My favorite sites include

Bari reef/Buddy's reef in front of the Sanddollar/Buddy's respectively. Good easy dives with good facilities/easy access. Both can be done from 30' to 130' with high diversity of species (Bari has most species identified in Caribbean) and both are good night dives.

Salt Pier is a fun dive as it has the pier and reef which makes for a cool dive and Andrea I & II are good easy dives.

As far as restaurants, we cook in much of the time, but two that we enjoyed recently were Donno & Giorgios (seafood and italian) and the Rib Factory (babyback ribs).

My tips would be to not prepay for alot of boat dives, but instead get the weekly unlimited tanks and weights special and tack on a trip to Klein if you feel like jumping off a boat. Be sure to have at least one pickup in your group to get around as there is no real public transportation.

I'm cheap so I bring in my own sodas and liquor as there are limited selections of both and they are considerably higher than here with the exception of table wine.

Great info - I need to start a list of all the recommendations ... I don't think we're planning at staying at a resort (Buddy's or otherwise) but I think someone said it's still okay to use their access to dive even if you're not staying there? We're looking at B&B's, so I'll have to check on what kitchen/cooking options might be available ......

We stayed at Happy Holiday Homes, which are duplexes on the south side of the airport. They were very nice, clean and comfortable. We bought food at the local markets, Cultimara and the Warehouse which seem to be reasonbly priced after the exchange conversion. I personally suffered from Diet Mountain Dew withdrawal as there were none to be found on the island (had to settle for Pepsi). The Old Inn had great food as did several of the restaurants along the main drag (be prepared to drive over the side-walks).

Definitely skip the boat dives as part of the package and do them a la carte, we did this last week and the boat dives were $30 US for a 2 tank dive each when we felt like doing them. We did both Rappel and Bloodlet, and couple along Klien Bonaire as boat dives. The entries and exits seem to be a little easier on the south side, but none were very difficult. The only tough one we had was Karpatta as the wind was up a little more than normal creating a bit more wave action, the exit was harder than the entry. Do a few night dives while you're there. As far as I'm concerned they were as much or more fun than the day dives. The dives mentioned above can't be argued with.

Oh yeah, be prepared for a shock when you have to gas up the truck as it was about $3.25 a gallon while we were there.

If you haven't selected accommodations yet, may I suggest the Yachtclub Apartments. They are very reasonable and are ideally located just north of town across the road from the Harbor Village and barely a quarter mile or so south of the Sand dollar/Buddy's/Bon Bini (Lions)/Capt Dons resort area.

We' ve stayed there the last three trips, most recently over Christmas and plan on going back next January. The studios are $55 a night and the one bedrooms are $60 and they will do a combination truck and apartment special through Total Car rental which is owned by the same folks. The apartments are clean with fully equipped kitchens (with utensils, cookware and serving dishs), cable TV and A/C.

You can dive with any of the dive shops, but I would recommend Buddy's because of the combination of price and service. They offer access to tanks 24/7 a their dock and have a drive through fill station open 8 to 5. They offer unlimited tanks for 6 days for $99 ($99 more for nitrox). They also do the mandatory new diver orientation twice a day (9AM and 2PM) . This is nice because after a long day of flying, we find it tough to get up for a early morning orientation after losing one or two hours in the time change.

Its funny that the previous poster mentioned Moutain Dew, as we carried about three gallons of Diet Dew with us last time. As he mentioned, Coke and Pepsi are pretty much it at the local markets.

I would also reccommend skipping a boat dive package. We dove with Buddy Dive the last two years and have been very happy. I enjoyed Red Slave and Oil Slick. Can't say I had a bad dive at any of the sites.

We're kind of checking out Deep Blue View B&B as they have a dive, drive & stay package, but haven't finalized anything yet ..... sounds like there are a lot of options out there. And luckily I'm not much into sodas .... I just pack a container and lots of lemonade mix!!

So everyone does the orientation thing? What does that entail?

Kat,

I am trying a new place in March. Wannadivehuts. I know nothing about them other than I know the owner who is a nice guy...I am taking a chance on the place but the price is pretty good. It ended up at about $400pp for a room, unlimited tanks and rental truck from AB carrental. http://www.wannadivehutbonaire.com/default_frames1024.aspx

Add Pasa Bon Pizza and Gibi's to your rest list. I understand Nibo China is also very good, it's on my "to try" list. There is a restaurant guide on island that is very good....check out the Gibi's add....rumer is my party from last year is on the new guide.

If you do dive on a resort that you are not staying at, PLEASE check in with the dive shop, most don't mind but they do appreciate you letting them know you are there.. Capt Don's charges $5 for people not staying there, I am unaware of any others the charge but there maybe more, another reason to ask.

Dive sites: Oil Slick Leap, Hilma Hooker (100ft wreck dive for shore), The Lake and Angle city ( both are double reefs)
There is a book called "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" the is very helpful. Most all dive shops on island have it.. $10

Yeah- just to add to the above comments- definatel check in with the onsite operator before diving at a resort/property. There is never a problem and it is a nice courtesy. When we did this, a number of the dive shops were slightly bemused as to why we we checking with them, I guess not many people bother.
The mandatory orientation is an introduction to diving on Bonaire- and the marine park rules and regs. It's also a brief refresher for those who are unsure on how to make sure your bouyancy is good and to protect the coral. It was basically a talk given by a DM who also shows you where evrything is onsite and can help with dive site advice. I had heard from someone that the DM went into the water with them, but when we did it, it was just a talk, then you get to jump in and do a dive off the dock. You are supposed to take this time to check your bouyancy, but it is basically the start of your trip.

Oh the accomodation note- the yacht club apts are good- we passed them daily and they looked great- we stayed at divers paradise- which is a little north of Capt dons and they are fabulous apartments. We have booked to stay with them again as they were a great deal. Wherever you stay, you will problably spend most of your time in the water anyway.

My fav sites are salt pier- I can't get enough of that one, alice in wonderland - and my fav (keep it secret) is the cliff- just further on from capt dons- few people dive it, but its a mini-wall and where I saw my first Bonaire turtle :)

oh yeah- I forgot the Hilma hooker- thats great too!!!

Back
Top Bottom