Favorite Bonaire Dive Sites, & other Info??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of my diving week in Bonaire last March, I have three favorites:
1. Hilma Hooker, as has been mentioned, can't miss her. From the shore, you're swimming out when suddenly there's the hull. I almost convulsed and THEN the enormous tarpon strolled by... here you can clock 90-something fsw if you stick your computer into the sand.
2. BOPEC. You enter just north of the Marine Reserve and can therefore only swim north. Biggest sponges I've ever seen, temptation to go really deep, not necessary though. Amazing colors here.
3. A dive at an unlisted place just north of Alice in Wonderland -- double reef, valley between full of coral and color. Turtle on the way out. Mmmmm!

I have to second the poster that mentioned the small yellow picture-free "Bonaire Diving Made Easy" booklet by Jessie Armacost. It's readily available and really a great guide. For instance, if one of your people want to have an easier entry point, you just flip through, find one that clearly states "easy entry," consult the map they give you at your orientation and there you go. While it's tempting to get the glossy expensive books that reside next to this one, I can't rave about Armacost's book enough.

As for food, we stayed at Lion's Dive and went next door to Capt. Don's for pizza three times. Pizza with gouda, blew me away. You'll find plenty of stuff at the grocery store... the only thing not around are cigarettes. Drink Bright!

Have a GREAT trip.

Well we booked the flights tonight .... the airfares started going up today, so had to bite the bullet and just book. Herman -I look forward to a trip report upon your return in March. I'd heard rumor of a good little dive book - glad you listed the name so we can pick it up when we get there. Had looked on-line on Amazon, etc. but nothing jumped out at me as great dive info. Pizza with Gouda ... hmm sounds good!

Now I just wish it were May!!

Been there 3 times and stayed at Capt. Don's, Divi Flamingo, and BelMar Apts. BelMar is a nice condo with private dock for very easy shore dives. You can also arrange pickups with Toucan Divers (from the Plaza Resort). I recommend doing 2 tank AM boat dives because they can get to Klein and some of the better, but more difficult shore dive sites. Then hop in your pickup (mandatory) for afternoon shore diving. I liked EASY entries, namely Windsock (a nice beach near the airport), salt pier, and from any of the resorts. I thought the better reefs are north of the marina. The dive sites are well marked, but www.shorediving.com is a good resource for previewing the sites and has excellent directions. Restaurants I liked are Rendevouz (in town) and Richards (south of town near the Divi).

Thanks for more info ... the shorediving.com is great for checking out each site. We've gone ahead and booked accomadations with Deep Blue View B&B - doesn't seem to get a lot of attention, but the comments we have seen were very good. For a first trip, I like the idea of staying at a very small place (4 rooms) with owners on-site. And they do the whole package a bit more reasonably then the bigger resorts.

We're still looking for any & all suggestions and comments on favorite restaurants, dive sites and any other info needed!! Can't get enough input from all you guys that have been there!!

Well, if you like the Deep Blue View enough, I believe that it is for sale... I can't remember the link, but if you google it you should find it... There are two prices, one for just the house the other for the house and equip.

But I digress...

There are so many dive sites to visit that it is impossible to hit them all...

My suggestions in order of preference:

1. Town Pier at night
2. Hilma Hooker
3. Salt Pier
4. Any dive on the east side (if you are lucky enough to have a calm day)
5. Angel City (HUGEST Green Moray ever...I mean right out of "The Deep" big)
6. Karpata ***
7. Small wall (a little tricky to get to without a boat)
8. Any dive site at night - I liked Calabas in front of Bruce Bowker's because of the HUGE tarpon that hangs out there...(at least there was one there the two nights on different trips that I dove that site)

Of course there is also Klein, but that requires a boat...(as does the East side, unless you like long walks in knee deep water with all your gear and long swims - which I do:))

*** Although this is an easy dive, it seems to be getting a reputation as dangerous... A few weeks ago two divers disappeared while diving there (never found) and a year or two ago some guys decided to try their luck at going deep (400') and one or two of them died as well... Moral of the story - don't exceed your skill.

There is a good bar that is on a pier right in the middle of town (Karols), but that gets a little loud sometimes with all the motorcycles that cruise the main drag...

Don't forget to try Capricio's for some good Italian food. Yum... Make sure to have the after dinner drinks there.

My favorite dive sites are Karpata, which is a wonderful dive. There's probably less pressure on it than the rest of the dive sites. Nice sponges and a pristine reef. Karpata is a easy shore dive also. The reef starts at 30' and goes down to a 100' plus. Karpata is a must do dive when we go to Bonaire. I also like the Forest at Klein Bonaire. This a great night dive location. Lots of undercut coral formations which are full of bugs. I was there two years ago on a night dive when the coral spawned, which was really nice. These are my two favorites, but on Bonaire, any of the dive sites are good. :palmtree: Bob

Some things to consider: the Salt Pier dive is only available if a local dive operator contacts them for the shipping schedule; although it may SEEM fairly deserted, it IS an active docking area for the salt ships.

Don't for get to have lunch at Julio's! It's a local place that has some of the best stoba (Stew) on the island. The portions are HUGE and the prices excellent.

Raining Fishes serves fantastic local fish.. right across from the water.

If you are renting a place with a kitchen take your own frozen meat packed in dry ice. We have had up to 6 people there are a time & it can get pretty expensive @ island prices for that kind of thing. Buy the rest of your stuff at Cultimara. (Who, BTW, have one of the some of the best baked goods on the planet.)

Have fun!!!

My vote for sites: 1. Salt Pier
2. Karpata
3. End of the Island (Klien Bonaire)
All these sights are must see sights, also shore diving at night near Bruce Bowkers or the Divi can produce feeding Tarpon which are very interesting to watch.

Caymaniac

Back
Top Bottom