Favorite Fish to See?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juvenile drums are a very close second--almost a tie--but my favorite, so far, is the juvenile trunkfish, which at the size of a large marble carries enough toxin to kill a decent-sized shark. Not a good picture, I'm afraid--they aren't called "bumblebees" for nothing. Bonaire, September 2021 - Rick Morgan
Toxins to kill a shark? I haven't heard of this. Tell me more please!

I always enjoy the reef butterflyfishes. I always see them in pairs.

Juvenile drums are a very close second--almost a tie--but my favorite, so far, is the juvenile trunkfish, which at the size of a large marble carries enough toxin to kill a decent-sized shark. Not a good picture, I'm afraid--they aren't called "bumblebees" for nothing. Bonaire, September 2021 - Rick Morgan
Only certain species of trunkfishes carry toxins. None of the Atlantic/Caribbean trunkfishes carry any toxins, except for the Smooth Trunkfish. Some Pacific species are very toxic, releasing their toxins into the water when stressed. I doubt that any juvenile trunkfish could do in a large shark. Again, most Caribbean/Atlantic trunkfishes are completely harmless. We catch small ones here in NJ in late summer. We call them Boston Beans.

I have never heard of toxins in trunkfish.

I always enjoy the reef butterflyfishes. I always see them in pairs.
This pair didn’t seem as shy as many I’ve seen. I got a couple of other species but no images as clean as these. Years ago I shot banded, spot fin four eye and maybe another species on San Salvador (Bahamas). They’re all on film and haven’t been digitized. 😟
🐸

Attachments

• MICR0180.jpeg
    MICR0180.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 35
I love this thread.

I don’t have any favorite fish, as I genuinely enjoy seeing any fish at all. But there are two (three technically) that make me giggle like a little kid every time I see them:

Those little ping pong balls of joy that are juvenile trunk fish (spotted and smooth), and porcupine puffer fish with their smiling faces

My favorite fish are not all that rare. But if I see them I know it's going to be a good dive.

Batfish and Anthias.

Back
Top Bottom