FBI Collecting your Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstone

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Lately I been reading alot of articles of the FBI visiting Dive Shops asking for Names of all divers the shop certified over the last 3 years and any who quit without reason in the middle of training, as well as anyone with a middle eastern name.

Also it appears the FBI has visited PADI, NAUI, SSI to name a few and these agenices have handed over the name and contact information (your address and phone number) to the FBI, for those divers certified within the last 3 years.

While I am all for Protecting our country. I find this to be a invasion of privacy. I am shocked that my own agency with no disregard for its divers or professional instructors would just freely hand out names and contact information. As you can tell I'm not to fond of the "BIG BROTHER" mentality.

What is interesting is after they took the names, these so called agenices said they notified there divers the day after this request by the FBI which was memorial day, and as of now I still have yet to receive anything from my agency.

Its bad enough the government keeps tabs on our jobs, the money we earn, places we move to, now they want to keep a database of our recreational activities.. WHAT will they think of NEXT!?! :confused:

Ryan Stone

If you are a lawful citizen then you have nothing to fear !
We live in a free country, which means if you don’t like the ways it’s run, you can leave ! I for one would be willing to give up most anything if it would save innocent American lives. Especially the lives of our children, who are the future of America. These are dangerous times and if we want to continue our free way of life, then we are going to have to be willing to bend a little. It’s the least we can do. Some of our American brothers and sisters have given their lives so that we can live in this land of the free……………………..Arduous

Where did you read these articles? Were they from a credible source? Where are these dive shops? In a specific region? It just seems like a time consuming process. There have already been so many rumors that take on lives of their own...sounds like a possible "urban legend" to me.

I'm betting that there would be a different sentiment if these enquiries had occured in the first few weeks after September 11 last year. Remember for a lot of people, learning to fly is a recreational activity. No-one would have complained if the FBI, CIA, et al, had of been working efficiently and identified the 19 individuals responsible for the attrocity that occured, by asking around at flight schools for suspicious individuals given the available intelligence that is being revealed in the media in recent weeks as having been available at the time.

I'm not particularly happy that as a foreign national, I'm likely to be asked for fingerprints the next time I re-enter this country. But I accept it, as part of the priviledge of visting and working in the country. The fact is, there are people in this world who so forcibly demonstrated on September 11 that they hate a sizeable percentage of the Western world, and if through the process of investigation, authorities can identify further individuals who are planning future attacks, why oppose it? Please explain how government knowledge of the fact that the average joe shmoe is a scuba diver is an infringement of your civil liberties. Think of the 2500 souls lost on September 11 - what civil liberties do they have now? Does a cruise ship or Navy vessel have to be sunk, with another major loss of life, before people accept that maybe the FBI asking around at dive shops about people receiving rebreather training, or stocking up on oxygen, or taking advanced nitrox courses, is not such a bad thing?

And its people like you who allow this to happen. The question there is where do YOU draw the line?

A National ID Card? the Government Planting Microchips in your body so they can track your movements? Camera on every street corner?

This isnt Freedom! This is the Goverment controlling your Life... I appreciate the Men and Woman who choose to do their part for our country, but that is the choice they made. Sure I'm free to leave, but why would I want to? I was Born here and have just as much right to stay here in freedom without the government being intrusive. Thats why we have the Bill of Rights, and the constitution, to protect our freedoms and our rights from the government.

Ryan Stone

Originally posted by kelpmermaid
Where did you read these articles? Were they from a credible source? Where are these dive shops? In a specific region? It just seems like a time consuming process. There have already been so many rumors that take on lives of their own...sounds like a possible "urban legend" to me.

A dive shop in the San Francisco bay area where I'm doing a nitrox course this weekend had a visit from the FBI this week. It came up during a conversation I had with the owner yesterday.

I agree with kelpmermaid... and anyway, there is so much of your "personal" information out there anyway, what could NAUI, PADI or any agency give them that you have already provided to the bank, the credit card company, your ISP, the phone company or every contest form you have ever filled out.

Ty

Yes, they are from a credible source. These were published in, Chicago Tribune, MSNBC, WVEC, etc.

You can read all of them at:

http://www.scubacourse.com/scmain/scubanews.asp

The facts are true, fbi is collecting information regarding those that took dive courses.
We are at war. Those that can contribute in finding the enemy to defend the country should do so without reservation of personal information.

Originally posted by tchil01

I agree with kelpmermaid... and anyway, there is so much of your "personal" information out there anyway, what could NAUI, PADI or any agency give them that you have already provided to the bank, the credit card company, your ISP, the phone company or every contest form you have ever filled out.

Ty

TRUE... But its not the fact they couldnt obtain this other ways.. its the fact that it was so freely handed out with little or no disregard to anyone's privacy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom