Fear of S/S BP being too heavy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A SS plate works for most people in the tropics if using an Alu tank, but if you were somewhere using a steel tank then the SS plate is usually too much weight. Jupiter, FL diving for instance often uses steel tanks since it's deep diving and many people like a tank larger than an 80 like a 100 or even larger so a steel tank is used. But the advantage of a BP/W system is you can swap out to an Alu plate.

Also, is the Dive Rite wing a worthy purchase, and how is it compared to the HOG? Also, as a dive TA at my school, should I try to get something with a bit extra lift, just in case?

I'm 135 pounds, and in a 7mm farmer john I wear 26# of weight when I'm diving in Monterey, CA. I'm excited to get a s/s plate to get some weight off of my belt, but at the same time I'm afraid that if I ever dive in the tropics I'll be rather negatively buoyant. Will I sink like a brick with that backplate with the single tank retainer, or should I be fine?

Are you sure you're not overweighted? I guess if you're using an AL80 (+4) and a floaty jacket BC (+3?) it adds up. But it definitely sounds like you will have zero trouble being overweighted with a steel plate and STA even in warm water.

What do you mean by 'extra' lift? You need enough lift to float your rig w/out you in it, and enough to compensate for the loss in buoyancy of your suit plus any gas in the tank. No way is that figure more than 30lbs, in fact I"m sure it's lower. With the weight amounts you're carrying you'll want some of it on the rig and some on a belt or harness. I suspect that any 30 or 40lb single tank wing will be more than sufficient. Nobody ever complains about having too small a wing, only too big.

I don't know anything about the HOG wing but I suspect that like dive-rite, oxycheq, halcyon, and deep sea supply it's a quality product and you should look around for a deal. Check caveadventurers, and search this forum because people regularly ask about package deals they've found that are sometimes quite reasonable.

Here's my 2psi ...

I use a SS plate with Alu 80 wearing a 3mm jumpsuit in the tropics and no other weight at all. I've found this combination allows me to hold a 20' safety stop easily. It's very comfortable.

A 6# SS BP will probably leave you a bit heavy with an AL80. but nothing that could not be managed. You could even add a shorty to off-set it. I'd be more concerned about what it does to your baggage allowance. I use a very light BP for air travel.

All my dive gear, including 6# BP, weighs less than 50#. No problem for travel.

I can also get all of my gear including a SS backplate to come in under 50 lbs. But the extra weight of the SS plate is a weight luxury I am no longer willing to make which is why I am looking for alternatives. I see the Halcyon travel BP/W in my future since I think I am too lazy to spend my time changing back and forth between plates.

Thanks, guys!

So yeah, I'm using the mares basic bc (school's rental) and an AL80. 26 might be a pound or two overweighted, but if I'm TA'ing and helping out with skills I'd rather be a little negative. I heard one of my friends mention something negative about the dive rite wings in the past, so I'll ask him for clarification. That was why I was concerned, but it seems like nodody has any trouble with it. The HOG and the DR seem like the reasonable ones in the price range… unless there are others?

I'm not exactly planning on tropical diving anytime in the future, just came across my mind when I started considering buoyancy. Plates are relatively cheap and I wouldn't particularly mind swapping out for an aluminum if the necessity arose. Thanks!

You don't need to swap plates if you don't want. You can just buy an aluminium plate (usually cheaper than SS) and then add a channel weight to it. So you can have weight when you want it.

The least expensive wings you can find are Hog and DRIS. However unless you have the parts you need to compare full packages so it is not so much the brand of wing but the dive shop selling it.

Another vote for SS BP & W and you will love it for Travel (clean harness and no other weight needed)!

Diverrex - We have had others like yourself that have used the Halcyon Traveler Bc to cut down on weight (when it matters most) and they have loved it.

Dive Gear Express has aluminum BP for $55.00 with free shipping. But you'll need the harness, et al too, so you may want to buy a package.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom