Fear of S/S BP being too heavy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will be fine in the tropics with a SS black plate. If you are planning on doing doubles then you should go with a larger wing. If you are just planning on doing a single tank then go with a smaller wing. I recomend the Hollis S-Series for a single tanks bc it is really streamlined.

Yep, that looks like a good deal.

Sent from my ADR6350 using my Fumble Thumbs :D

This is cheaper. I would check with Ness to see the year of the wing. I suspect they have the new style wing but haven't updated their website.
That's a different package than the one I was looking at - I was thinking of grabbing the Steel plate with 35lb wings.

You may want to upgrade to a 2" crotch strap.

The DR package is getting close to $400 without STA. And at that price, you may also want to look at DSS single package. Two nice option with DSS is different size of backplate, and bolt on weight plate. The weight plate will cost additional, but so as the DR weight pockets. I think DSS weight plate is a much cleaner solution to reduce weight on belt.

I don't know how concerned I am about losing more weight than the steel backplate already loses me. I don't ming wearing an 18-20 pound belt with an Al80. I know a lot of peopel content with the DSS rig, does it benefit me in any othe way to sink that extra $100 in?

Edit: also, is the STA a necessity if I'm only ever diving one-tank?

STA is not required or at least I do not use one.

I also use a 1.5" crotch strap with quick release.

I disagree with those telling you it will be fine. It does depend on your body makeup and exposure suit but a generic statement that it will be fine is simply not true. In cold water where you are wearing a good bit of exposure suit that might be reasonable but for warm tropic water, a SS plate will likely overweight you by a fair amount. In warm fresh water I dive with no weights at all, a BC (or BP) that is near neutral and an al 80 tank . A SS plate would overweight me by almost 6 lbs, a totally unacceptable amount of overweighting. For warm tropical salt water, I dive 4 lbs, again a SS plate would overweight me by 2 lbs with no additional weight and this assumes no STA, not to mention you have to carry that extra weight when you travel. I am a little fluffier than you are so your weighting requirements should be less than mine. You can always add lead if you need more but if your basic rig is more negative than you need, you are stuck being overweighted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom