Female Diver Missing on The Yukon, San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where would a person look to find official reports regarding scubadiving related accidents ? All of these incidents are reported to be investigated etc - does any one follow up on it to get answers if it doesn't end up in court ?

Or is it too personal to be open to the public ?
Divers Alert Network (DAN) publishes accident statstics.

I have just finished reading all 13 pages on this tragedy, and initially my impression was relying on the press for accurate information is like relying on the government for honesty, it's just not going to happen. Secondly, people using this tragedy for PADI bashing, and with not any sign of actually knowing what they are talking about, the wreck specialty does call for a penetration in the light zone while running a line on dive four, it has been stated that this was a wreck specialty course, what dive number? No one has said, so talk of penetration is conjecture. Scripps found nothing wrong with her gear, but I have seen pressure(depth) related failures, so it may have been an issue at 100'. We know there were 4 students, and 2 dive professionals(1 instructor, 1 DM) on the dive, my question would be to the instructor, how did you set up your logistics under water? When I have a CA, and 4 students, the CA is tasked with keeping 1 buddy team together while I lead the dive and keep the other buddy team and move slow to keep the group together, I turn around every 3 kicks to count heads. The DM did try to assist her buoyancy issue,It is reported that he injured himself in the process and thank you Lynne, a neutrally buoyant object that gets filled with water is still neutrally buoyant. I have swam up a weight belt with 12 lbs on it from 50', and this young in shape woman, should have been able to swim up unless her "buoyancy issue" was actually an entanglement issue, and she may not have realized it if it was fishing line hooked on the first stage.

The following is an update from this mornings San Diego Union:

Yukon scuba diver died of head injury
SAN DIEGO — A Camp Pendleton Marine who died while scuba diving on the Yukon ship accidentally drowned due to blunt-force head injury, the Medical Examiner’s Office said.
Lance Cpl. Anastasia “Staci” Jackson, 26, died on Dec. 1. The results of the investigation into her death were released Monday.
Jackson was diving with an instructor and three other classmates on the sunken Canadian destroyer about 2 miles off Mission Beach.
She began to have problems with buoyancy, and her divemaster tried to assist her, but the two lost their grip on each other and she dropped deeper, authorities said. Her body was found the next day, just inside one of the ship’s compartments and tangled in ropes.
Jackson was a native of Philadelphia. Her father, Bruce Atkins, had said his daughter was considering possibly taking over his commercial diving business in Miami.
Jackson was a special intelligence system communicator assigned to the 1st Radio Battalion, 1st Marine headquarters Group, I Marine Expeditionary Force.
The Yukon was sunk in 2000 to create an artificial reef for recreational divers. At least three other divers have died at the site. The ship is 366 feet long and has more than 100 compartments and six decks.

Yukon scuba diver died of head injury
SAN DIEGO — A Camp Pendleton Marine who died while scuba diving on the Yukon ship accidentally drowned due to blunt-force head injury, the Medical Examiner’s Office said.

How does that happen underwater?

flots.

Blunt force trauma to the head? Found inside, entangled in lines?

As Sherlock Holmes would put it, "rather . . . singular."

More questions

Agreed, Fisheater, it doesn't seem to make sense. Entangled and a head injury? Perhaps Ken Kurtis can enlighten us please?

Agreed, Fisheater, it doesn't seem to make sense. Entangled and a head injury? Perhaps Ken Kurtis can enlighten us please?

I'm not Ken, but the two could be, but do not have to be simultaneous. Entangeled does not mean you can't move, or be moved, only that you cannot free yourself. One case the injury happens and the diver drifts into the entangelment. Another the diver is entangled and the surge slams her into the wreck while extricating herself.

As an aside, I have a great picture of my buddy bleeding from the nose after the surge slammed him into a wreck we were diving. It wasen't life threatening, but we took a break topside to sort it all out. We determined that 6' surge and 4' viz were not the best conditions to make the dive, but since it was one one the better days, we went back in being more mindfull of the hazards.

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom