Female divers - BCD recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Dive Buddy-ettes tell me BP/W are easier on the Boobage & Abdomen compared to the straightjacket/corset-like Stabilizing Jacket BC. . .
03.gif
Also more comfortable to lug around, with or without tank attached. Under water and on land.

Try the Cressi Travel Light, both my better half and I are very happy with this BCD. We bought these because we travel thousands of miles every year and want to minimise the weight and volume. It is foldable with lock straps and can be packed in its own soft bag the size of a supermarket shopping plastic bag so you can take it as cabin baggage if you wish. As for all products it has pluses and minuses; however I find that the plus side outweighs the minuses with a large margin.

On the plus side:
Light weight approx. 2kg
Foldable in its own soft bag
2 large utility pockets
Plenty of D-rings and attachments
Integrated weights
2 tank straps
Snug soft fit
The prize is a under $400

On the minus side:
The lifting capacity is roughly one size under e.g. a medium size will have the same lift in lbs as most other BCD small size have, for comparison medium size Cressi Travel Light = 20.2 lbs, whereas small size Cressi Mens Aquaride BCD = 22.5 lbs, so you will be hanging low at the surface, you will just have your head above water, but that is something I can live with.

My Dive Buddy-ettes tell me BP/W are easier on the Boobage & Abdomen compared to the straightjacket/corset-like Stabilizing Jacket BC. . .
03.gif

and of course, who would want them covered, especially when w/o wetsuit in a zero-G env.

Make sure you try a backplate/wing with a standard webbing harness before you buy anything. By 'try' I mean actually dive with one, not just try it on in the store. You wouldn't try on business clothes underwater, right? Same goes for a BC. Fit while on land is deceptive, especially wearing street clothes.

It shouldn't be too difficult to borrow or rent one in southern cal.

It shouldn't be too difficult to borrow or rent one in southern cal.

Hollywood Divers rent BPWs. You can either use the Halcyon Infinity with the quick pull adjustable harness or the old fashion Hogarthian harness. They have both types for rent.

Back
Top Bottom