Ferry to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bleach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all...

We are going to Utila in April and are arriving in San Pedro Sula at 10:58am on Continental. I saw another post showing the Ferry leaves from La Cieba at 2:00pm.

Is that enough time to get through customs and cab it over? About how far away is the terminal?

I was quoted $288 for the one way flight to Utila which seems High.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Brian

A cab ride from San Pedro Sula to La Cieba will take about three hours - that is if you can find some to do that. Immigration can suck if there another flight coming at the same time. They have a preference for families and locals getting through while others wait and wait. It took us 30 minutes to get through.

There are busses. Which what we did. Take a bus that evening overnight in LaCieba and then the ferry in the morning. We got in in time to do a couple of afternoon dives.

PS San Pedro Sula is in the middle of the country and La Cieba is on the coast.

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to hear "mabey an hour", or "sure no problem, plenty of time". I guess we will buy the plane ticket, as we really want to be diving that next morning and already have to overnight in Houston.

Brian

$288 one way? Unless things have changed dramatically in the last couple of weeks, I don't think so. Sosa or Atlantic ought to get you to Ceiba in time for $80 or so and all the way out to Utila for $100 or so.

Maybe he's saying $288 for his whole group?

Ok
I think we figured it out. The price was really $244. It was for RT/PP. We had asked for the One Way, I "assumed" thats what it was. So at $122/pp one way I guess thats not so bad.

Next time I'll pay more attention before posting.
Brian

The ferry is supposed to leave La Ceiba at 4pm. It leaves Utila to go to La Ceiba at 2 pm. You can easily catch a puddle jumper out of SPS to La Ceiba. Try SOSA, Atlantic or Islena airlines. We spent 10 days bopping around Honduras last may and LOVED every minute of our trip EXCEPT the bus ride from Copan Ruinas to La Ceiba (it was just too long). We had such a blast, instead of going someplace new this year we just decided to return in April of this year for 10 days again and bring a couple people with us. From the La Ceiba airport it is 20 to 30 taxi ride to the ferry terminal. We are flying in on April 18th. We'll go to Utila for 4 days then over to Roatan for 6. No matter what combo you use to get there you'll have a blast!

Myra

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom